Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Best Practice to animate a build out

Hi guys,

I made this simple animation in Motion. It's basically an image mask that moves in from the side of the screen. A small icon appears with overshoot. I have published this and saved it in FCPX. When I add it, the animation builds in smoothly (as in Motion).

I was just wondering if there was any easy ways to make the animation build out the way that it came in? I use a ramp behaviour to move the masks in on the X axis. And an overshoot behaviour to make the icon appear.

I want to be able to set the timing of this animation in Final Cut, so sometimes, it will appear for 10 seconds, sometimes a minute etc. Then I want it to build out in a smooth way.

TIA to all the Motion masters out there.

https://www.loom.com/share/2068b5f4686e4869a5f0498e3f93e7a2

Posted on Jun 14, 2022 4:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 14, 2022 6:30 PM

Hi Phil

Animating out is going to be as easy or as difficult as the template demands. There isn't really any 'best practice'. As someone who makes FCP templates and plugins for the living, the only 'best practice' I follow is to always to plan the build in and out at the same time, so that I do not animate myself into a dead end.

In this case - if you ramp in, then use ramp to animate out. You can apply a second ramp to manage that.

For the overshoot behavior - it is not so simple. The overshoot does not have a built in reverse function and it needs to be managed differently to get a true reversal.

Check out this tutorial for that https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJtzOviiGUY

However, keep in mind, that overshooting animations often look silly on the reverse. I hardly ever reverse an overshoot, i prefer to add some manual keyframes instead.

Now, about the duration and the timing.

If you want to be able to extend the 'pause' between the build in and the build out, then that is what those markers are for. I see you have them set up in your project. Build in and build out markers will allow you to extend the duration between the in and the out animations in FCP. If your build out animation is going to be the same timing as the build in, then be sure to animate correctly at the other end of the project. If the animation if 1 second, then start animating 1 second from the end - whereby the last frame of the animation is the last frame, or second to last frame of the project.

While we are here, can you please attend to all those previous posts that have been left unattended and unresolved? It helps others who may search for similar questions later on. Thanks.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 14, 2022 6:30 PM in response to PhilCF

Hi Phil

Animating out is going to be as easy or as difficult as the template demands. There isn't really any 'best practice'. As someone who makes FCP templates and plugins for the living, the only 'best practice' I follow is to always to plan the build in and out at the same time, so that I do not animate myself into a dead end.

In this case - if you ramp in, then use ramp to animate out. You can apply a second ramp to manage that.

For the overshoot behavior - it is not so simple. The overshoot does not have a built in reverse function and it needs to be managed differently to get a true reversal.

Check out this tutorial for that https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJtzOviiGUY

However, keep in mind, that overshooting animations often look silly on the reverse. I hardly ever reverse an overshoot, i prefer to add some manual keyframes instead.

Now, about the duration and the timing.

If you want to be able to extend the 'pause' between the build in and the build out, then that is what those markers are for. I see you have them set up in your project. Build in and build out markers will allow you to extend the duration between the in and the out animations in FCP. If your build out animation is going to be the same timing as the build in, then be sure to animate correctly at the other end of the project. If the animation if 1 second, then start animating 1 second from the end - whereby the last frame of the animation is the last frame, or second to last frame of the project.

While we are here, can you please attend to all those previous posts that have been left unattended and unresolved? It helps others who may search for similar questions later on. Thanks.

Best Practice to animate a build out

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.