Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Talking from a computer via iPhone: How to?

Hi folks. I have two devices, a MacBook Air with headphones and an iPhone. When I know that I am going to be in for a long wait for a telephone conversation, I like to use headphones plugged into a third device to make this comfortable. I can also do anything else on a computer whilst waiting in line.

I want to select an entry on my contacts on the MacBook, click "dial" and make the call via the iPhone.

I have been using this for years on my iPad and it just works like a breeze. On my MacBook, no go.

My first question is via What protocol is it using on my iPad to make the connection?

1) The first candidate would be Bluetooth. This is not the case because neither end has an entry that corresponds to the other device. If you attempt to connect the iPhone to either iPad or Desktop using this protocol the Bluetooth connection fails.

2) Candidate number 2 is FaceTime. Settings needed to be turned on on both my iPhone and iPad to make this work. There appears to be no way to turn on FaceTime on the MacBook Air and therein seems to lie the problem. It can't be done as the smarts don't exist on a computer to handle what are mobile phone functions.

Maybe someone knows of a third alternative that actually works and I would love to hear from them.

In the meanwhile I will just have to avoid making telephone conversations via my desktop computer. Cheers.

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jun 17, 2022 10:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 18, 2022 8:27 AM

See the instructions in Make and receive calls on your Mac, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Similar questions

2 replies

Talking from a computer via iPhone: How to?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.