Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone settings claim WiFi connection but phone using LTE

Issue noticed on iOS 15.5 on iPhone 11.

This happens every day to me, I’ll be using my phone in my apartment and notice my phone is using an LTE connection. I notice because the status bar says LTE and eventually in the month I get a notification as I’m at home that I’ve used all my data for the month. As someone that works from home and never had this issue before owning an iPhone I find this shocking. I used to use 2-3 GBs of data per month and now I’m clearing my 6 GB plan.

when I go to my iPhone’s settings it says I’m connected to my home WiFi with 2 out of 3 bars of signal strength. Restarting the router has not worked. Neither has restarting my phone.

Is this a known hardware or software issue?

iPhone 11, iOS 15

Posted on Jun 18, 2022 3:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 18, 2022 1:24 PM

Wi-Fi Assist is on by default. If you don't want your iOS device to stay connected to the Internet when you have a poor Wi-Fi connection, you can disable Wi-Fi Assist. Go to Settings > Cellular or Settings > Mobile Data. Then scroll down and tap the slider for Wi-Fi Assist.

About Wi-Fi Assist - Apple Support

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 18, 2022 1:24 PM in response to Rob-codes

Wi-Fi Assist is on by default. If you don't want your iOS device to stay connected to the Internet when you have a poor Wi-Fi connection, you can disable Wi-Fi Assist. Go to Settings > Cellular or Settings > Mobile Data. Then scroll down and tap the slider for Wi-Fi Assist.

About Wi-Fi Assist - Apple Support

iPhone settings claim WiFi connection but phone using LTE

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.