Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have adjusted all controls to have auto brightness off but my phone keeps switching from bright to darker on it’s on

I have adjusted all controls to have auto brightness off but my phone keeps switching from bright to darker on it’s on. I have restarted several times as well.

iPhone 11, iOS 15

Posted on Jun 21, 2022 7:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 21, 2022 7:46 AM

It isn’t clear what you mean by “bright” and “dark”, so I’ll cover all the possible settings and causes.

Go to Settings/Display & Brightness; turn Automatic off, and either Light or Dark as you choose

If you mean the screen dims at certain times, there are 2 possible reasons: One is that the screen will dim a few seconds before the screen locks, as a warning that the phone is about to go to sleep.

Another is a feature called Attention Aware; if this feature is on the screen will dim if you look away from it to reduce energy consumption. To disable this go to Settings/Face ID & Passcode, enter your passcode and turn off Attention Aware Features.

In Settings/Accessibility/Display & Text Size there is a setting for Auto-Brightness. This adjusts the brightness of the screen based on ambient light levels.

Finally, if the phone gets too warm iOS will dim the screen to reduce energy usage, as the screen is the largest consumer of power.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 21, 2022 7:46 AM in response to Georgesmay

It isn’t clear what you mean by “bright” and “dark”, so I’ll cover all the possible settings and causes.

Go to Settings/Display & Brightness; turn Automatic off, and either Light or Dark as you choose

If you mean the screen dims at certain times, there are 2 possible reasons: One is that the screen will dim a few seconds before the screen locks, as a warning that the phone is about to go to sleep.

Another is a feature called Attention Aware; if this feature is on the screen will dim if you look away from it to reduce energy consumption. To disable this go to Settings/Face ID & Passcode, enter your passcode and turn off Attention Aware Features.

In Settings/Accessibility/Display & Text Size there is a setting for Auto-Brightness. This adjusts the brightness of the screen based on ambient light levels.

Finally, if the phone gets too warm iOS will dim the screen to reduce energy usage, as the screen is the largest consumer of power.

I have adjusted all controls to have auto brightness off but my phone keeps switching from bright to darker on it’s on

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.