Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Background and Wallpaper constantly changing to BLACK automatically

I have an iPhone 12 updated to iOS 16. The background and wallpaper constantly changes itself to Black, automatically. I have to power down my phone in order to recover my Lock Screen Photo as well as the home screen background (or wallpaper). Is this a setting I have set incorrectly or is there a fix to stop this?

Thanks

iPhone 12

Posted on Nov 8, 2022 6:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 10, 2022 7:24 AM

Hi tncgra,

Thank you for posting in Apple Support Communities! This doesn't sound like expected behavior. Does this happen with any wallpaper that is set for your Lock Screen or a specific one? Does this happen at a specific time of day? Is it possible that a Focus is being enabled?

Check out how to customize your Focus settings here: Use Focus on your iPhone or iPad- Apple Support

Also, the latest iOS is currently iOS 16.1.1. We'd recommend updating and then confirming this continues to occur.

1. Back up your device to iCloud or to a computer: How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch- Apple Support.
  2. Go to Settings > General > Software Update
  3. Tap download and install

Update your iPhone or iPad- Apple Support

Hope that helps!

31 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 10, 2022 7:24 AM in response to tncgray

Hi tncgra,

Thank you for posting in Apple Support Communities! This doesn't sound like expected behavior. Does this happen with any wallpaper that is set for your Lock Screen or a specific one? Does this happen at a specific time of day? Is it possible that a Focus is being enabled?

Check out how to customize your Focus settings here: Use Focus on your iPhone or iPad- Apple Support

Also, the latest iOS is currently iOS 16.1.1. We'd recommend updating and then confirming this continues to occur.

1. Back up your device to iCloud or to a computer: How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch- Apple Support.
  2. Go to Settings > General > Software Update
  3. Tap download and install

Update your iPhone or iPad- Apple Support

Hope that helps!

Nov 30, 2022 4:42 AM in response to tncgray

I am having the same issue with my Lock Screen and wallpaper going black. Yesterday I shut my phone down multiple times to get the photo back on my Lock Screen; this photo has been on my 12 Pro Max since I got it (when they first came out). My phone can just be laying and when I pick it up the screen is black. Now both screens are going black. I’ve also lost transcription on my voicemail . My phone is updated. Any suggestions?

Dec 19, 2022 9:55 AM in response to Trish313

The only way I was able to stop this from happening was by switching to only a single background. I originally had one background photo for my locked screen and a separate background photo for my regular wallpaper as seen on the background of my home screen. When I changed these to the same photo, the blackouts stopped. I never had this problem before updating to ISO 16. I grew weary of fighting it, even with upgrades, so I just use the single photo.

Dec 24, 2022 11:45 AM in response to Ll1953lah

Been having the same issue on iPhone 7. It’s extremely frustrating and time wasting. Every single time there’s an iOS update I panic about what nonsense is going to break my phone now. Also, Bluetooth creating numerous problems for EarPod connectivity if the EarPod isn’t an apple brand. So using Samsung or beats wireless headset is prohibited since it’s not apple device. When I say prohibited: I mean it works. But you have to stay in the page while listening and can’t listen to audiobook while using another app as it cuts out. Then worse, most 3rd party wireless Devices no longer get picked up by Bluetooth on iphone.

Dec 17, 2022 10:31 PM in response to tncgray

I’ve actually been having the same issue - and more.

I have an automatic wallpaper photo change every day, and I have set up about 40 photos that it’s supposed to randomly decide a different one every day.

but for some reason, it randomly picks 3 photos, and change only to the same 3 photos every time.

ive been trying to fix it again and again and I’ve updated the software multiple time and it wasn’t fixed.

Jan 21, 2023 9:24 AM in response to tncgray

Also...this occurred several times a day, not just when the phone was resting. Several times, the phone required a complete shutdown because I could not recover any screen (much like Windows' blue screen of death). I guess Apple wanted their own unrecoverable condition to still compete with Windows. Fortunately, my switch to a single photo that resides on my phone resolved my "blackout" conditions.

Jan 26, 2023 7:35 PM in response to tncgray

I have had the same issue the day I updated to 16 on iPhone 11 I figured out over several days if it went to black back ground I could power of and back on and my background pic was back but if I power off again it goes to black screen. But it does this automatically all the time but only making it the black screen it never goes back to my wall paper with out me powering on / off phone. Tried apple support several times they acted like I was crazy took to store they thought I was crazy till I showed them. The problem has only gotten worse with it switching mostly at night between the hours of 2am and 5 am for some reason. Then today I hit the side button to look at my phone and I’m in an app when all the sudden it pops up a screen asking me to customize my wallpaper and would not let me out of that screen till I plowed off and on the phone.

Mar 1, 2023 10:34 AM in response to amberridden

I had to rest my iPhone 11 at the Apple Store and it’s really messed with everything. Including the issue you are all having. Goes to black or it goes to those awful graphics Apple decided to use on all their products which I hate. Can’t stand looking at them. I want pictures of my choosing on my iPhone. In my Mac I want either my pics at startup or those wonderful picture of California names for each iOS.

but this latest of constantly resetting my iPhone wallpaper to only have it change yo those graphics or black screen is crazy making

Background and Wallpaper constantly changing to BLACK automatically

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.