Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot stream old tv shows purchased on iTunes over Airplay to a Roku device

I am trying to stream old tv shows that I purchased years ago on iTunes over Airplay to a Roku 4k+ device connected to an HD TV. Airplay returns an error stating that it can't stream to the TV. I've tried rebooting all devices. All devices are on the same network and configured for same video quality (at least as far as I can tell). The tv show is the HD version.

iPad mini 4 Wi-Fi

Posted on Jun 22, 2022 2:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 24, 2022 9:15 AM

I think you should be able to find your previously purchased TV shows and movies in the Library tab of the Apple TV app, if purchased with the same Apple ID account. Over 6 years ago would still be valid.

If it was purchased with a different Apple ID account, then it wouldn’t be available from the Library in the app, until you switch to that same account from back then.

If that older content is no longer available in the Store today (that could happen in exceptional situations), then that might be an issue for streaming, so please verify that.

Contact the iTunes Store staff if you need further assistance.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 24, 2022 9:15 AM in response to TeeSeas_Phx

I think you should be able to find your previously purchased TV shows and movies in the Library tab of the Apple TV app, if purchased with the same Apple ID account. Over 6 years ago would still be valid.

If it was purchased with a different Apple ID account, then it wouldn’t be available from the Library in the app, until you switch to that same account from back then.

If that older content is no longer available in the Store today (that could happen in exceptional situations), then that might be an issue for streaming, so please verify that.

Contact the iTunes Store staff if you need further assistance.

Jun 23, 2022 11:28 AM in response to Urquhart1244

Thank you for your insights. AppleTV doesn't recognize the content as it wasn't purchased through AppleTV and only 1 season of the show is still available on AppleTV. It's a pretty unique situation for which I may have to go with a h/w solution. All new content purchased/included under AppleTV+ plays/streams fine, it's just the old content (tv shows and movies) that were purchased over 6 years ago using iTunes that won't stream ("video format won't play on your tv").

Cannot stream old tv shows purchased on iTunes over Airplay to a Roku device

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.