Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter

How is the Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter bidirectional? I need to attach a Thunderbolt 3 cable to a Thunderbolt 1 port on a 2013 iMac.

iMac 27″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jun 22, 2022 4:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 22, 2022 6:16 PM

Seeing you are referring to this Thunderbolt Adapter

I looked here (About the Apple Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter - Apple Support) and saw this

The Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter connects a Mac that has a Thunderbolt 3 port to a device that uses a Thunderbolt or Thunderbolt 2 cable.

Based off of that excerpt, it looks like you can use that adapter for thunderbolt gen 1 and gen 2 plugs

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 22, 2022 6:16 PM in response to kezapp

Seeing you are referring to this Thunderbolt Adapter

I looked here (About the Apple Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter - Apple Support) and saw this

The Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter connects a Mac that has a Thunderbolt 3 port to a device that uses a Thunderbolt or Thunderbolt 2 cable.

Based off of that excerpt, it looks like you can use that adapter for thunderbolt gen 1 and gen 2 plugs

Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.