Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to remove Apple ID from Mac Mini?

Yesterday, I asked a poorly titled question about an Apple PC, thinking it was a G5. It is actually a Mac Mini. I plan to keep this device.

Here's the original thread: Is a Macintosh G5 PC worth updating? - Apple Community

My father-in-law passed away at 86 in January. He had this Mac Mini as his computer and I plan to use it as a secondary computer to my Windows laptop. Unfortunately, his email has been cancelled, and I do not know his Apple ID password.

When I go to sign out of his account and sign in with mine, it prompts me for his password. How do I avoid this?

Posted on Jun 23, 2022 8:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 25, 2022 11:43 AM

See -> If you’re asked for an administrator name and password on Mac

If you’re asked for an administrator name and password on Mac – Apple Support (UK)

That means back to -> How to request access to a deceased family member's Apple account

How to request access to a deceased family member's Apple account - Apple Support

You can try to contact Apple support for help, -> Get Support (apple.com)

You have to show proof of ownership of your product, provide all documentation showing your purchase of the device.

If you do not have additional proof of ownership, contact the reseller. They may be able to provide the original purchase document.

Once Apple receive your proof of ownership, Apple will further review your request and provide an update.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 25, 2022 11:43 AM in response to perfectreign

See -> If you’re asked for an administrator name and password on Mac

If you’re asked for an administrator name and password on Mac – Apple Support (UK)

That means back to -> How to request access to a deceased family member's Apple account

How to request access to a deceased family member's Apple account - Apple Support

You can try to contact Apple support for help, -> Get Support (apple.com)

You have to show proof of ownership of your product, provide all documentation showing your purchase of the device.

If you do not have additional proof of ownership, contact the reseller. They may be able to provide the original purchase document.

Once Apple receive your proof of ownership, Apple will further review your request and provide an update.

Jun 24, 2022 1:03 PM in response to perfectreign

The below might work, depending on how the computer was set up. It will remove all the data from the computer.

Boot to the Recovery Volume (command - R on a restart). Run Disk Utility/First Aid. Reformat the drive using Disk Utility/Erase. Use Mac OS Extended (Journaled), then click the Option button, and select GUID. Quit Disk Utility, then re-install the OS.

Reinstall from macOS Recovery

ASC YouTube for how to reinstall macOS from macOS Recovery 

OS X Recovery

Jun 27, 2022 8:13 AM in response to perfectreign

Okay, I got it. Booting the PC to recovery, and reformatting the drive did the trick. Took a few hours to reinstall the operating system, but it let me login with my Apple ID and now this PC is ready to rock and roll. I'm getting a new SSD and some memory in the mail in a few days, so I'll have to go through it again, but at least it will reinstall based on my Apple ID. I just realized the image on the desktop is actually Catalina Island off the coast of California, taken from the northwest, looking southeast. (Been fishing there many times.)

Now, upon looking at the MacOS (OSX?) versions, I see there are later versions than Catalina. Is this the latest which will run on an older MacMini with an Intel i5 chip?

Jun 24, 2022 7:11 AM in response to Raicya

Thank you. Wow, this is challenging. No idea how to get a court order. Unfortunately, we waited too long, and I stopped his phone as well as his email.

When my 19-year-old son died two years ago, I had his iPhone so was able to get access to his iCloud data. The only thing I've been unable to do is get access to his Instagram, as someone reported him deceased.

Jun 25, 2022 2:17 PM in response to Raicya

Thank you. somehow i managed to reset my Apple ID (I have an Iphone 11) and was able to reset the admin password on the PC by booting to recovery mode. (How to Access Terminal via Recovery Mode for Mac (osxdaily.com))

But, apparently I still need his Apple ID password. I've tried what I can think of, including his bank password, but no luck.

I'll contact Apple Monday. I just want to reformat this PC so I can use it.

Jun 25, 2022 5:26 PM in response to Raicya

thank you, i'll try these. it is unfortunate that I deleted his email and cell phone before trying to restore his PC. On a windows PC, you can just reinstall the OS.

I didn't think it would be this challenging. At least with my son's Iphone and Icloud, I had his cell phone and email. The only annoying thing with his accounts is his Instagram, which is in a "memorialized" state.

How to remove Apple ID from Mac Mini?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.