Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My MacBook Pro "16" restarts often and randomly

My MacBook Pro 16-inch restarts several times a day and randomly. It happens when I use the computer and also when it is just on standby with no app open. I have had the computer on service but they said they couldnt find anything wrong with it and charged me $50 for a faulty support errand. I´ve also tried to reinstall MacOS but the problem is still there.

Every Mac has log files that keeps track of what´s happening. Is there a file that can show the support that the computer really crashes and restarts and why? I dont want to leave it to the support one more time and be charged $50 once more because they "couldnt find any faulty".

Posted on Jun 26, 2022 10:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 26, 2022 11:05 AM

madeleine224 wrote:

Hello Douglas and thanks for your reply. But it didn´t really answer to my question if there´s a log file that can help the support to see when it crashes and restarts and why. I dont want to hand the computer over to Apple support once again and be told that there´s nothing wrong with it and pay $50 once again for nothing.
My impression is that Apple support in America is really good, but here in Europe Apple support reputation is not that good so I need to have some kind of proof of the faulty machine.

? yes you made that clear...

Intermittent issues can be hard to diagnosis ..."restarts several times a day and randomly."

Kernel Panics are predominately caused by hardware faults or faulty third-party kernel extensions.

You can get a good look at your System config. and reveal conflicts or issues, you can download/run this trusted utility https://etrecheck.com  Allow the Full Disk Access for best results.

If you need help interpreting the report you can post it here in its entirety in the "Additional Text" box in the editing toolbar below, in your reply.

To trouble shoot further you can:

—Test issue in another user (or guest user) account Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac - Apple Support

This will tell you if it a universal issue or isolated to your user/admin account. 

—SafeBoot How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

Takes a bit longer to get to the login screen, does a quick disk repair before it fully boots up, and certain system caches get cleared and rebuilt, including dynamic loader cache,  etc. 

Login and test. Reboot  as normal and test.  Caches get rebuilt automatically.

In Safe mode third party system modifications and system accelerations are disabled, it removes malware, etc hampering smooth operation, however a  reboot will put it back to normal mode.

This test will tell you if third party interference; extensions etc are not loaded in safe boot mode. 

Uninstall all third party apps that are Cleaners/Optimizers/VPN/Anti-Virus

all known to cause issues on the macOS

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 26, 2022 11:05 AM in response to madeleine224

madeleine224 wrote:

Hello Douglas and thanks for your reply. But it didn´t really answer to my question if there´s a log file that can help the support to see when it crashes and restarts and why. I dont want to hand the computer over to Apple support once again and be told that there´s nothing wrong with it and pay $50 once again for nothing.
My impression is that Apple support in America is really good, but here in Europe Apple support reputation is not that good so I need to have some kind of proof of the faulty machine.

? yes you made that clear...

Intermittent issues can be hard to diagnosis ..."restarts several times a day and randomly."

Kernel Panics are predominately caused by hardware faults or faulty third-party kernel extensions.

You can get a good look at your System config. and reveal conflicts or issues, you can download/run this trusted utility https://etrecheck.com  Allow the Full Disk Access for best results.

If you need help interpreting the report you can post it here in its entirety in the "Additional Text" box in the editing toolbar below, in your reply.

To trouble shoot further you can:

—Test issue in another user (or guest user) account Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac - Apple Support

This will tell you if it a universal issue or isolated to your user/admin account. 

—SafeBoot How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

Takes a bit longer to get to the login screen, does a quick disk repair before it fully boots up, and certain system caches get cleared and rebuilt, including dynamic loader cache,  etc. 

Login and test. Reboot  as normal and test.  Caches get rebuilt automatically.

In Safe mode third party system modifications and system accelerations are disabled, it removes malware, etc hampering smooth operation, however a  reboot will put it back to normal mode.

This test will tell you if third party interference; extensions etc are not loaded in safe boot mode. 

Uninstall all third party apps that are Cleaners/Optimizers/VPN/Anti-Virus

all known to cause issues on the macOS

Jun 26, 2022 10:40 AM in response to madeleine224

madeleine224 wrote:

My MacBook Pro 16-inch restarts several times a day and randomly. It happens when I use the computer and also when it is just on standby with no app open. I have had the computer on service but they said they couldnt find anything wrong with it and charged me $50 for a faulty support errand. I´ve also tried to reinstall MacOS but the problem is still there.
Every Mac has log files that keeps track of what´s happening. Is there a file that can show the support that the computer really crashes and restarts and why? I dont want to leave it to the support one more time and be charged $50 once more because they "couldnt find any faulty".

Learn what to do if your computer restarts or shuts down unexpectedly, or you get a message that your computer restarted or shut down because of a problem.

If your Mac spontaneously restarts or displays a ... - Apple Support

If your Mac restarted because of a problem - Apple Support

Jun 26, 2022 10:55 AM in response to leroydouglas

My MacBook Pro "16" restarts often and randomly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.