You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Password is required to enable Touch ID.

“Password is required to enable Touch ID.” Is the message I get when starting up my MacBook Pro. Can this be turned off? Im asking as I’m having some issues with my keyboard so I need to use an external keyboard at the moment, however, the external keyboard connects via Bluetooth which doesn’t work until the password is entered after start up.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.4

Posted on Jun 28, 2022 4:40 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 28, 2022 6:10 AM

kollins77 wrote:

“Password is required to enable Touch ID.” Is the message I get when starting up my MacBook Pro. Can this be turned off?

Im asking as I’m having some issues with my keyboard so I need to use an external keyboard at the moment, however, the external keyboard connects via Bluetooth which doesn’t work until the password is entered after start up.

No.

There are a few caveats regarding TouchID — and will not be accepted by macOS:

• If you restarted your Mac, or if you're not logged into your user account.

• If you have not unlocked your Mac for 48 hours.

• If you are trying to unlock Security & Privacy

• If you are trying to unlock Users & Groups Preferences (when FileVault is on)

• If 5 wrong fingerprint attempts

Use Touch ID on Mac

Use Touch ID on Mac - Apple Support

"If you have problems with Touch ID"

If Touch ID isn't working on your Mac - Apple Support

-----------------------------

If you have issues with your internal keyboard— you do not specify the problem. Hardware issues can not be solved here on line.

In or out of warranty you can get a free over the counter 'Apple Service Diagnostics' test /assessment

Make an appointment for a "hardware issue"

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Outside the USA

https://locate.apple.com/country

Learn how to get your Mac fixed and how much it will cost. Mac Repair Service Mac Repair - Official Apple Support

Get your Mac ready for service - Apple Support Get your Mac ready for service - Apple Support

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 28, 2022 6:10 AM in response to kollins77

kollins77 wrote:

“Password is required to enable Touch ID.” Is the message I get when starting up my MacBook Pro. Can this be turned off?

Im asking as I’m having some issues with my keyboard so I need to use an external keyboard at the moment, however, the external keyboard connects via Bluetooth which doesn’t work until the password is entered after start up.

No.

There are a few caveats regarding TouchID — and will not be accepted by macOS:

• If you restarted your Mac, or if you're not logged into your user account.

• If you have not unlocked your Mac for 48 hours.

• If you are trying to unlock Security & Privacy

• If you are trying to unlock Users & Groups Preferences (when FileVault is on)

• If 5 wrong fingerprint attempts

Use Touch ID on Mac

Use Touch ID on Mac - Apple Support

"If you have problems with Touch ID"

If Touch ID isn't working on your Mac - Apple Support

-----------------------------

If you have issues with your internal keyboard— you do not specify the problem. Hardware issues can not be solved here on line.

In or out of warranty you can get a free over the counter 'Apple Service Diagnostics' test /assessment

Make an appointment for a "hardware issue"

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Outside the USA

https://locate.apple.com/country

Learn how to get your Mac fixed and how much it will cost. Mac Repair Service Mac Repair - Official Apple Support

Get your Mac ready for service - Apple Support Get your Mac ready for service - Apple Support

Jun 28, 2022 4:43 AM in response to kollins77

Based on your situation, I recommend service.

Service Checklist:

Click ▶︎ Start a Service Request. ⚛️

Need more help?

Click ▶︎ Check Repair Status.

Jun 28, 2022 6:24 AM in response to kollins77

If you can obtain a wired keyboard, and plug directly into a port on the chassis, that should allow you to keep working until you can get the built-in keyboard repaired.

Almost any wired Keyboard will do -- almost all alpha and numerics are identical, and many control keys are very very similar.

If you have an Apple wireless keyboard, often connecting its lightning [charge] cable will make it into a wired keyboard for this purpose.

Password is required to enable Touch ID.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.