Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone Mail App no longer shows which email address an email is sent to on some emails.

Phone: iPhone 13 / iOS 15.5

Setup: Four e-mail accounts, three are IMAP and one is OWA based. All e-mail accounts send and receive e-mails properly.

Behavior: When viewing "All mail", and tapping on an e-mail, it shows From: and To: fields. When I want to figure out which account received the e-mail, I could previously tap my name next to "To" and it would show which e-mail account it was sent to. The Mail app no longer constantly does this. I say consistently because sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't.

The Mail App on my MBP running macOS 12.4 will show me which account the e-mail was sent to if I click the arrow next to my name in the e-mail.

This seems like some sort of bug.

iPhone 13, iOS 15

Posted on Jun 29, 2022 9:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 30, 2022 11:02 AM

Hey there Matthew Christy, 

Have you identified which of the four email addresses this behavior occurs with?

It sounds like you may not be seeing the To email address because the incoming messages were sent to your default account.

You can check you default account by tapping Settings > Mail. Default Account is most likely located at the very bottom of the list.  

Have a good one!

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 30, 2022 11:02 AM in response to Matthew Christy

Hey there Matthew Christy, 

Have you identified which of the four email addresses this behavior occurs with?

It sounds like you may not be seeing the To email address because the incoming messages were sent to your default account.

You can check you default account by tapping Settings > Mail. Default Account is most likely located at the very bottom of the list.  

Have a good one!

Jun 30, 2022 1:45 PM in response to Matthew Christy

Well, you solved the observed behavior! It is indeed my default account that doesn't show any results when I tap my name. However, the macOS mail app shows which account it is regardless (by putting a checkmark next to the account addressed).

It just seems weird that in one design the behavior works regardless of account (macOS) and in the other, it's omitted because it's the "default account".

I also feel that "default account" has a lot of ambiguity in iOS, as when I see "default account" I think the default I want to send messages from.

Just poor design IMHO.

iPhone Mail App no longer shows which email address an email is sent to on some emails.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.