Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

finder not working after upgrade to monterey

Upgraded to Monterey and my finder stopped working properly. Doesn't show all the external drives, or anything else on the desktop at the moment. Won't relaunch under 'force quit'. I've reinstalled, opened in safe mode and removed logon items with the same result. Any ideas?

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Jun 29, 2022 5:05 PM

6 replies

Jul 5, 2022 6:47 PM in response to picas

I've tried almost everything offered but am concerned about reverting to an older version. When I've tried to do this it wants me to use migration assistant or internet recovery and then finds the version before Big Sur. I've noticed Old Toad recommending Etrecheck and I downloaded and ran that. The report is attached. If anyone can help decipher it I'd certainly appreciate it.

Jun 29, 2022 7:10 PM in response to picas

Didn't work. Logged on under my wife's account and it doesn't work there either. Desktop icons did not load but dock did and I can run apps (I'm using Firefox to access support here) apparently without problem. Shutting down doesn't work either so I have to power off.

Can't believe I'm the only one with this problem. Should I download the previous OS and reinstall that? Any help is appreciated.

Jul 1, 2022 6:43 PM in response to armtmurp

I've done all that stuff but reinstalling a previous version. Finder works now and then after I reboot, but it quits when I change users, i.e. log on my wife's account and it works reasonably OK, but when I switch to my logon it doesn't load all the desktop icons and then just stalls out and the beach ball keeps spinning. I tried to run Firefox but it wouldn't open. So I rebooted and everything seems to have loaded and here I am bemoaning my fate. Any chance Apple will actually fix the problem?

finder not working after upgrade to monterey

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.