Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When music is playing on my AirPods 3rd gen, the controls don’t respond.

So I’ve had my AirPods for about 6 months and I’ve recently had troubles with the squeeze controls. I can squeeze once to play music but if I single, double, or triple squeeze when my music is playing the controls don’t respond. Does anyone else have that issue or know how to resolve it?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 12 Pro, iOS 15

Posted on Jun 30, 2022 4:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 30, 2022 4:12 PM

Try pairing it with another device to test if there is any hardware issue. Also, try configuring the controls.

AirPods (3rd generation) controls

You can control your AirPods (3rd generation) by pressing the Force Sensor on the stem. The Force Sensor is automatically set up to do the following:

• Play and pause audio: Press the Force Sensor once. To resume playback, press it again.
  • Play the next track: Double-press the Force Sensor.
  • Play the previous track: Triple-press the Force Sensor.
  • Answer a call: When you receive a call, press the Force Sensor.
  • Activate Siri: Press and hold the Force Sensor, then ask questions, control apps, and more.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 30, 2022 4:12 PM in response to Jsforte3

Try pairing it with another device to test if there is any hardware issue. Also, try configuring the controls.

AirPods (3rd generation) controls

You can control your AirPods (3rd generation) by pressing the Force Sensor on the stem. The Force Sensor is automatically set up to do the following:

• Play and pause audio: Press the Force Sensor once. To resume playback, press it again.
  • Play the next track: Double-press the Force Sensor.
  • Play the previous track: Triple-press the Force Sensor.
  • Answer a call: When you receive a call, press the Force Sensor.
  • Activate Siri: Press and hold the Force Sensor, then ask questions, control apps, and more.

When music is playing on my AirPods 3rd gen, the controls don’t respond.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.