Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wallpaper options no longer show up under "Desktop & Screensaver" in MacOS Big Sur....how do i fix it?

I had to reset my computer and things got messed up. It is much slower and also the wallpapers options now longer show up under 'Desktop & Screensavers.' When i try to add a folder with wallpapers it doesn't show up. I thought maybe it is a 'permissions' problem but i just found out that it isn't a thing anymore. Also, when i go to the 'Guest' option they show up if i add them. Do i have to reinstall MacOS to fix it or is there an easier fix?

Posted on Jul 3, 2022 7:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 3, 2022 12:07 PM

Give this a try: boot into Safe Mode according to How to use safe mode on your Mac and test to see if the problem persists. Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 3 - 5 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 3, 2022 12:07 PM in response to burdell1

Give this a try: boot into Safe Mode according to How to use safe mode on your Mac and test to see if the problem persists. Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 3 - 5 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

Jul 3, 2022 11:16 AM in response to burdell1

burdell1 wrote:

I had to reset my computer and things got messed up. It is much slower and also the wallpapers options now longer show up under 'Desktop & Screensavers.' When i try to add a folder with wallpapers it doesn't show up. I thought maybe it is a 'permissions' problem but i just found out that it isn't a thing anymore. Also, when i go to the 'Guest' option they show up if i add them. Do i have to reinstall MacOS to fix it or is there an easier fix?

Reset it how?

Got messed up how?

Maybe this is a clue to the way forward.

step one do not install garbage on the macOS

Uninstall all third party apps that are Cleaners/Optimizers/VPN/Anti-Virus

all known to cause issues on the macOS

the current stable release of Big Sur 11.6.7 (20G630) June 9, 2022

Keep your Mac up to date - Apple Support

Keep your Mac up to date - Apple Support

You can always reinstall your current macOS on top of your existing macOS to sort anomalies from Recovery

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204904

Wallpaper options no longer show up under "Desktop & Screensaver" in MacOS Big Sur....how do i fix it?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.