Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

OS Monterey installed and HP printer doe not print.

HP printer worked fine, then does not print after installation of OS 12.4. iMac sent document to printer, indication that printer is printing but nothing happens.

Print Queue indicates that document sent to printer, but it does not print and disappears from Queue as if printing was successful.

iMac 27″, macOS 12.4

Posted on Jul 6, 2022 10:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 9, 2022 8:47 AM

Give this a try: boot into Safe Mode according to How to use safe mode on your Mac and test to see if the problem persists. Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 3 - 5 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 9, 2022 8:47 AM in response to biddymon

Give this a try: boot into Safe Mode according to How to use safe mode on your Mac and test to see if the problem persists. Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 3 - 5 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

Jul 11, 2022 8:10 AM in response to Old Toad

Thanks again Old Toad.

Safe Mode Boot........okay, no issues shown.

Reinstalled the OS and data from backup drive. Everything looks good except see below.

Status is the same: (1) The iMac recognizes the printer but it does not print a document, i.e., it recognizes the printer but does not locate it to print and (2) Time Machine does not recognize the Seagate 5T backup drive. This appears to be a Seagate issue because (a) I backed up to a different 1T backup drive and (2) the same results occurred with a MacBook Air. All of this started when my wife updated the OS.

I will work with HP and also Seagate today.

Jul 6, 2022 10:23 AM in response to biddymon

biddymon wrote:

HP printer worked fine, then does not print after installation of OS 12.4. iMac sent document to printer, indication that printer is printing but nothing happens.

Print Queue indicates that document sent to printer, but it does not print and disappears from Queue as if printing was successful.

Solve printing problems on Mac

Solve printing problems on Mac - Apple Support

Add a printer to your printer list so you can use it on Mac - Apple Support

Add a printer to your printer list so you can use it on Mac - Apple Support

If it is listed as AirPrint printer, delete the existing printer in

> System Preferences> Printers & Scanners, and add it again, select AirPrint.

Connect an AirPrint printer to a Wi-Fi network - Apple Support.

Connect an AirPrint printer to a Wi-Fi network - Apple Support

HP—

If you are still at a loss: https://123.hp.com/us/en/

https://www.hpsmart.com/us/en

Jul 9, 2022 8:22 AM in response to leroydouglas

Thank you very much, but I am a bit ahead of those suggestions. I added the printer after downloading a new driver and it is shown as a printer in Prefs. It will print a blank document sheet, but not anything from an application (Word, etc.)

This started after a download of the new OS. I am going to perform a clean installation. We will see what happens then.

Thanks again.

Jul 9, 2022 2:13 PM in response to Old Toad

Thank you Old Toad. I think that this issue was caused by a problem with the OS update that was installed because, in addition to the printing issue, I went to Time Machine to back up the drive before going to Safe Mode or reinstall.

The backup external drive was connected to the iMac because the drive was shown on the desk top and in Disk Utility, but Time Machine would not recognize that backup drive. I then connected a second external drive and Time Machine recognized it. I am now waiting for the backup to finish before following your suggestion of Safe Mode.

So here's the status: (1) The iMac recognizes the printer but it does not print a document. That printer is shared so I attempted to print a document from this shared iMac and unfortunately the same result occurred (but it was unable to locate printer from this different iMac) and (2) the inability of Time Machine to recognize one external drive that I know is functional.

Wish me luck

OS Monterey installed and HP printer doe not print.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.