Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trackpad (MacBook Pro, 2020 M1)

Dear Community,

I have been having issues with my trackpad for the past month.

Almost every time I try to move my cursor using the trackpad, it will automatically click by itself like 200 times, and it's driving me crazy. I cannot use my trackpad at all and it's really frustrating. Sometimes it works normally but it will eventually start clicking and I will be unable to use my Laptop.

Example: I google something and I try to browse down and my trackpad starts clicking and I can't click the link I want to cause it'll click on everything else before I get to the one I want to click on.

Example 2: I edit this thread, I try to move my cursor to the first paragraph but it will start clicking and highlighting everything

I've googled ways to possibly repair it and I've tried many things such as re-installing the OS, changing certain settings etc... and nothing has worked. I suspect the only thing that'll work is sending it for recovery.

But before I do that I wanted to ask if anyone has had the same issue and if they possibly fixed it without having to spend lots of $.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.4

Posted on Jul 7, 2022 2:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 7, 2022 6:25 AM

Hi,

Just wonder if you connect external wire or wireless mouse to your MacBook Pro and it works.

If it works, your trackpad is something wrong, you need to replace it at Genius Bar or Apple Authorized Service Provider.

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Apple - Find Locations - Location Selector

Similar questions

2 replies

Jul 7, 2022 7:51 AM in response to AdamSleepingBeauty

A trackpad can have a failing digitizer, similar to a touchscreen. At least with a touchscreen it's often referred to as "ghost touch" since it seems that an invisible hand is randomly making contact.

The most likely reason for this would be failing hardware. The trackpad is a separate part, so it shouldn't be that expensive to get it repaired. Not sure if it might require an entire top case swap - if the battery is still glued in.

Trackpad (MacBook Pro, 2020 M1)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.