Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cleared login items, network drive still auto-mounting with duplicates

Hello,

I have an external webdav server I used to connect to. I removed it from login items in preferences > users > login items. However, it still mounting and it's making 3x duplicates. It does this every time I log in. I no longer which to connect to this server. I've tried everything.

device details:

macOS Monterey 12.4

MacBook Pro 16", 2019

2.4ghz 8core i9

16gb ddr4

1tb ssd

and radeon pro 5500m 8gb

I appreciate any help. Thank you.

Posted on Jul 11, 2022 1:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 15, 2022 10:33 AM

I was able to find the solution myself running this terminal script I put together:

cd / && sudo find ~+ -type f -exec sh -c "cat \"{}\" | grep -i server.xxx.com \"{}\"" \; -print 2>/dev/null

First it changes directory to root (/), and runs the find command. It opens each file and checks for the string of text "server.xxx.com". If it finds something, it prints the file contents and the path to the file. I had this run all day yesterday. After sifting through the results I found this file:

"/System/Volumes/Data/Users/USER/Library/Preferences/com.apple.dock.plist"

Using Xcode's plist editor, I opened the file. Inside, under Root>persistent-others, I expanded each "item" and found 3 items with file paths on the network drive (server.xxx.com). Deleted those three items, saved, restarted and the three network drive duplicate entries are now gone.

Thanks for all your help.

Similar questions

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 15, 2022 10:33 AM in response to Stealthownz

I was able to find the solution myself running this terminal script I put together:

cd / && sudo find ~+ -type f -exec sh -c "cat \"{}\" | grep -i server.xxx.com \"{}\"" \; -print 2>/dev/null

First it changes directory to root (/), and runs the find command. It opens each file and checks for the string of text "server.xxx.com". If it finds something, it prints the file contents and the path to the file. I had this run all day yesterday. After sifting through the results I found this file:

"/System/Volumes/Data/Users/USER/Library/Preferences/com.apple.dock.plist"

Using Xcode's plist editor, I opened the file. Inside, under Root>persistent-others, I expanded each "item" and found 3 items with file paths on the network drive (server.xxx.com). Deleted those three items, saved, restarted and the three network drive duplicate entries are now gone.

Thanks for all your help.

Jul 12, 2022 3:11 PM in response to Stealthownz

If all else fails give this a try: boot into Safe Mode according to How to use safe mode on your Mac and test to see if the problem persists. Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 3 - 5 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

Jul 12, 2022 1:46 PM in response to Stealthownz

Hey there Stealthownz,

Have you tried disconnecting from the WebDAV server since you're no longer using it? If not, give the steps below a try then check to see if the issue persists:

Disconnect from a WebDAV server
In the Finder  on your Mac, select the server.
Right-click, then choose Eject.

Connect to or disconnect from a WebDAV server on Mac - Apple Support

Take care!

Jul 15, 2022 10:07 AM in response to Old Toad

I tried I uninstalled macFUSE and the problem is still there. I remember having this problem before I macFUSE though. I wanted to share that I ran this command in terminal and found several hits:

it prints the file contents and then the path if file contains the text "server.xxx.com"

Jul 14, 2022 9:14 AM in response to Stealthownz

In that case download and run Etrecheck.  Copy and paste the results into your reply. Etrecheck is a diagnostic tool that was developed by one of the most respected users here in the ASC and recommended by Apple Support  to provide a snapshot of the system and help identify the more obvious culprits that can adversely affect a Mac's performance.

IMPORTANT:

Before running Etrecheck assign Full Disk Access to Etrecheck in the first window that comes up so that it can get additional information from the Console and log files for the report:

Also click the About… vurron and read the info to further permit full disk access.

Copy the report

and use the Additional Text button to include the report in your reply.

Cleared login items, network drive still auto-mounting with duplicates

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.