Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Stuck in Starting Internet Recovery.

Hello,

I tried to reset and reinstall mac os in my mac mini but unfortunately while reinstalling the power went of and after trying again it stuck in Starting Internet Recovery. This may take while. Page

Mac mini, macOS 12.4

Posted on Jul 15, 2022 1:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 16, 2022 9:55 AM

Hi, I'm HD erase. After utility disk Mac install after Monterey install. I forgot. I'm still laptop 4 hours.

Similar questions

6 replies

Jul 15, 2022 5:26 PM in response to Nirnitt

If you have an Intel Mac, then try booting into Internet Recovery Mode using Command + Option + R.

If you have an Intel Mac, then also try a PRAM Reset (hold the PRAM Reset for two chimes).

Please always provide the exact model of your Mac when asking for assistance since different models may have different support strategies. You can get the exact model of your Mac by entering your system serial number here:

Check Your Service and Support Coverage - Apple Support

If you have access to another qualifying Mac, then you can create a bootable macOS USB installer using the instructions in this Apple article:

How to create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

A qualifying Mac is one which can run the installer you are downloading, but the Mac does not currently need to be running that OS. Here is an article showing which versions of macOS are compatible with various Apple hardware:

https://eshop.macsales.com/guides/Mac_OS_X_Compatibility

For downloading macOS 12.x Monterey, you can use most Macs from 2015+, but check the list above to confirm.

However, if you have a 2018+ Mac, then a bootable USB installer won't work unless you previously adjusted the security settings to allow booting from USB since this setting can only be adjusted while booted into Recovery Mode which you cannot do at the moment.

Jul 15, 2022 10:27 AM in response to Nirnitt

Here is what I would do. If it hasn't completed downloading within an hour, I would shut the computer down and begin the process again. Be sure to be connected directly to the modem with an Ethernet cable. Do not use Wi-Fi for these large downloads. It is too slow and typically fails. The download should take up to an hour, more or less and then the install can take another 45 minutes, more or less. Good luck.

Aug 17, 2022 4:46 PM in response to karthick241

It either means you have a poor network or Internet connection, or the Mac has a hardware issue (most likely the hard drive is failing). You can try running the online Apple Diagnostics to see if any hardware issues are detected. Unfortunately the diagnostics don't detect most drive failures. If you have an external drive with a full bootable macOS installation, then there is an app you can use to check the health of the drive, or I can provide instructions for creating & using a bootable Linux USB stick to check the health of the drive. Let me know if you are interested in one of these options.

If the slow booting of Internet Recovery Mode (Command + Option + R) is due to a network issue, then try again. Better yet, create a bootable macOS USB installer to at least eliminate a network issue.

It would also be useful to know why you need to reinstall macOS because the problems you were having before may be related to the problem you are having now.

My money is on a failing hard drive assuming your Mini is a 2014 or earlier model.

Stuck in Starting Internet Recovery.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.