Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unlock iPhone with Reseller Flex Policy

Hello,

I purchased an iPhone in the US in 2020 at a Microcenter store, and I had been using it normally. I moved recently to Europe. When in Europe, I discovered that my device had the Reseller Flex Policy. Worse news: The device is locked by T-MOBILE, despite that I never used this carrier. I guess that in the store they inserted a T-MOBILE SIM at some point. T-MOBILE lags and never releases the lock.

Now I am stuck with a device I can't use.

I was NEVER informed about this lock. Actually, the item is advertised as "UNLOCKED"

What can I do?????

iPhone 8, iOS 15

Posted on Jul 15, 2022 9:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 15, 2022 9:45 AM

Flex Policy phones need to be activated with a US carrier. They are not locked to one until activation. That is, they should be able to be activated with any domestic carrier such as T-Mobile. AT&T, Verizon etc... However, they will not activate on foreign carriers.

Unless you activated it with T-Mobile it should not be specifically locked to them. How do you know it's locked to T-Mobile?

Did you insert a T-Mobile sim at any point during setup?

Once activated, they can be unlocked only by the carrier they were activated with. Once unlocked, they should be unlocked for use with any carrier domestic or foreign. The Flex Policy ends once they have been unlocked by the carrier.

Link-> How to unlock your iPhone for use with a different carrier - Apple Support

If you never activated the iPhone with any US carrier, then its technically not locked to anybody yet. But will not be able to be activated with a foreign carrier.

In other words, you need to activate the phone with a US carrier, fulfill their unlocking requirements, then have it unlocked by that US carrier before you can use it with a foreign one.

There's nothing else you can do.

19 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 15, 2022 9:45 AM in response to rotapple45

Flex Policy phones need to be activated with a US carrier. They are not locked to one until activation. That is, they should be able to be activated with any domestic carrier such as T-Mobile. AT&T, Verizon etc... However, they will not activate on foreign carriers.

Unless you activated it with T-Mobile it should not be specifically locked to them. How do you know it's locked to T-Mobile?

Did you insert a T-Mobile sim at any point during setup?

Once activated, they can be unlocked only by the carrier they were activated with. Once unlocked, they should be unlocked for use with any carrier domestic or foreign. The Flex Policy ends once they have been unlocked by the carrier.

Link-> How to unlock your iPhone for use with a different carrier - Apple Support

If you never activated the iPhone with any US carrier, then its technically not locked to anybody yet. But will not be able to be activated with a foreign carrier.

In other words, you need to activate the phone with a US carrier, fulfill their unlocking requirements, then have it unlocked by that US carrier before you can use it with a foreign one.

There's nothing else you can do.

Jul 15, 2022 9:22 AM in response to rotapple45

Unfortunately, you will need to follow T-Mobile's unlock policy, however from what I understand even if you are able to get a Flex phone unlocked, it cannot be used outside the US. You can ask T-Mobile in the US about it. In the US, only Apple sells unlocked phones. A Flex phone is advertised as unlocked, but it locks to the first carrier you activate it with.

Jul 15, 2022 9:55 AM in response to rotapple45

The ONLY source in the US for truly unlocked iPhones is Apple stores and Apple.com online. Other retailers that advertise “unlocked” really mean “unlocked in the US only, and will lock to the first carrier it is used with”. If it is locked to T-Mobile, and you used it in the US, then you must have used it with T-Mobile. Fortunately, T-Mobile has a liberal unlocking policy. Check it out on their website.

Jul 15, 2022 10:08 AM in response to Phil0124

I opened a ticket with Apple and they told me T-MOBILE has the carrier lock.

I NEVER inserted a T-Mobile SIM card. I infer (although I cannot prove) that the store activated the phone with a T-Mobile SIM card for some reason, and the they did a factory reset. I also infer (although I cannot prove) that the phone has a special lock so that I can only use it with US carriers, and for that reason I did not realize about the lock until I moved to Europe.

Unlock iPhone with Reseller Flex Policy

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.