Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

mail.app not connecting to ISP

I have Monterey OS 12.4 on my desktop Imac and have had problems with email--also on my iphone. When I try to send from the Imac, a box pops up saying "Can't connect to the account "Mcttelecom.com". Then "Enter the password for user (and my name)." I enter my password and response is: UNable to verify account name or password.

On my iphone, I have to choose to send from my icloud account to get anything mailed. I can send to my usual non-icloud address.

From my Ipad, the icloud account return address doesn't work, only my regular non-icloud account that nothing else accepts works.

Logging into my ISP from the web works fine so I can't figure out why the mail.app won't take the same password.

I've reset all my passwords in account preferences and they are all identical. ISP no help here.

Thanks for any suggestions. I tried to rebuild the mailbox but nothing whatsoever happened.

iMac 21.5″, macOS 12.4

Posted on Jul 16, 2022 11:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 16, 2022 11:55 AM

Thank you for the description of the problem. I have some thoughts to offer to you.

• You said "Logging into my ISP from the web works fine" I think that you mean to say "logging into my email service provider's web site". Is that correct?
  • In these kind of situations, generally something has corrupted the saved email ID and/or passwords. Therefore, what is being sent to the email provider's web sit is rejected. What is being looked for is not being received.
  • First I would visit the email provider's web site using your browser and carefully confirming the stored ID and passwords there. Write them down.
  • I suggest opening the email apps and carefully checking what they have stored in preferences. Make any needed corrections.
  • If that fails to correct the problem, the next step is to (1) move any saved email messages to a local folder. Create a folder if needed. (2) Delete the email account. (3) Then create a new account, entering the Id and passwords which were confirmed on the web page. This should normally resolve the problem. If after doing all the steps, the problem still persists, please let us know.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 16, 2022 11:55 AM in response to jmwlmsn

Thank you for the description of the problem. I have some thoughts to offer to you.

• You said "Logging into my ISP from the web works fine" I think that you mean to say "logging into my email service provider's web site". Is that correct?
  • In these kind of situations, generally something has corrupted the saved email ID and/or passwords. Therefore, what is being sent to the email provider's web sit is rejected. What is being looked for is not being received.
  • First I would visit the email provider's web site using your browser and carefully confirming the stored ID and passwords there. Write them down.
  • I suggest opening the email apps and carefully checking what they have stored in preferences. Make any needed corrections.
  • If that fails to correct the problem, the next step is to (1) move any saved email messages to a local folder. Create a folder if needed. (2) Delete the email account. (3) Then create a new account, entering the Id and passwords which were confirmed on the web page. This should normally resolve the problem. If after doing all the steps, the problem still persists, please let us know.

mail.app not connecting to ISP

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.