Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to remove files from iMac storage?

HI,

My mac has 121 GB of space and system files are taking around 80GB. Kindly tell me how to remove the time machine backup files and any other files, as I want to install macOS Monterey.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Jul 21, 2022 2:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 21, 2022 11:18 AM

• Delete Time Machine local snapshots by simply unchecking Backup Automatically in System Preferences -> Time Machine. Wait a while for it finish deleting these snapshots and then check Backup Automatically
  • Go to About This Mac -> Storage -> Manage and follow the recommendations
2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 21, 2022 11:18 AM in response to sr_rg7

• Delete Time Machine local snapshots by simply unchecking Backup Automatically in System Preferences -> Time Machine. Wait a while for it finish deleting these snapshots and then check Backup Automatically
  • Go to About This Mac -> Storage -> Manage and follow the recommendations

Jul 21, 2022 10:33 AM in response to sr_rg7

What I am reading is that you are using Time Machine to backup its files onto your hard drive. If so, don't. If your HD fails (and all do eventually) you will loose everything! Backups need to be backed up to external disks. So get an external disk and use that. Then delete all of the Time Machine files from your HD. They can be dragged to the Trash. Then it must be emptied.

How to remove files from iMac storage?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.