Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I can't get access to disk utility

I need to restore my mac from scratch. I deleted the hard disks and now when I start may mac, I'm getting a folder icon with a question mark. even if I restart the mac by holding comamnd+R, the mac is still blocked with this icon. thanks

Posted on Jul 24, 2022 11:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 24, 2022 11:47 AM

Try booting into Internet Recovery Mode using Command + Option + R.

You should always provide the exact model of your Mac and OS being used (last used) when asking for assistance so we can provide more pertinent suggestions to your case. Since you cannot boot the Mac normally, you can get this information by entering the system serial number here:

Check Your Service and Support Coverage - Apple Support

If after deleting the volumes, why didn't you quit Disk Utility and select the "Reinstall macOS" option. I've seen so many users do this that I am really curious. Now you must rely on Internet Recovery Mode or some other alternate method that may be more difficult to implement. It is always best to research the correct procedures before attempting a major change.

Once we know the exact model of your Mac, we can provide other options for you.

Edit: It would also be useful to know why you are performing a clean install. It is possible the problem you are trying to resolve is also an issue in performing the clean install.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 24, 2022 11:47 AM in response to adelch

Try booting into Internet Recovery Mode using Command + Option + R.

You should always provide the exact model of your Mac and OS being used (last used) when asking for assistance so we can provide more pertinent suggestions to your case. Since you cannot boot the Mac normally, you can get this information by entering the system serial number here:

Check Your Service and Support Coverage - Apple Support

If after deleting the volumes, why didn't you quit Disk Utility and select the "Reinstall macOS" option. I've seen so many users do this that I am really curious. Now you must rely on Internet Recovery Mode or some other alternate method that may be more difficult to implement. It is always best to research the correct procedures before attempting a major change.

Once we know the exact model of your Mac, we can provide other options for you.

Edit: It would also be useful to know why you are performing a clean install. It is possible the problem you are trying to resolve is also an issue in performing the clean install.

I can't get access to disk utility

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.