Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Battery drain since iOS 15.6 is ridiculous

Q:

Battery since iOS update

Since updating to iOS 15.6 on Tuesday , the battery on my phone 12 Pro, is running down super fast .

ive turned off all notifications, all background app refresh

, close all apps straight after use, turned off location, even Bluetooth, but it showing my photos app is running in background for hours and hours.

how do I fix this.

as a hiker the phone is now useless as it lasts a max of 2/3 hours with Strava running, all because of the background photos drain on the battery

iPhone 12 Pro

Posted on Jul 25, 2022 12:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 28, 2022 10:27 AM

As everyone posting in this thread is just complaining, and no one is willing to consider troubleshooting their problem, I’m giving up.

My last advice:

• Apple doesn’t read ASC looking for issues; this is a user to user forum, so saying that “Apple must do something” is as effective as shouting it into the Grand Canyon.
  • If you want to passively let Apple know, use this link→Product Feedback - Apple. They will record your issue, but won’t respond.
  • If you want to actively let Apple know and get help from Apple, click on Get Support at the top of this page.
106 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 28, 2022 10:27 AM in response to Memejojo73

As everyone posting in this thread is just complaining, and no one is willing to consider troubleshooting their problem, I’m giving up.

My last advice:

• Apple doesn’t read ASC looking for issues; this is a user to user forum, so saying that “Apple must do something” is as effective as shouting it into the Grand Canyon.
  • If you want to passively let Apple know, use this link→Product Feedback - Apple. They will record your issue, but won’t respond.
  • If you want to actively let Apple know and get help from Apple, click on Get Support at the top of this page.

Jul 25, 2022 12:51 AM in response to Memejojo73

Memejojo73 wrote:

as it lasts a max of 2/3 hours with Strava running, all because of the background photos drain on the battery

If you are experiencing any difficulty with third-party apps or a specific website then please contact the app developer or site publisher/host directly --> How to contact an app developer - Apple Support

Aug 1, 2022 6:43 AM in response to HosseinIT

That is a totally different issue, and has nothing to do with the subject of this thread.

How long has it been since the phone was new? The drop in maximum capacity is not always linear, but on average it will be about 1% a month for the average user. So if the phone is 3 months old or more that is a reasonable drop.

Batteries are consumables; they lose a little capacity every time they are discharged, then recharged. On average this works out to about a 1% loss for every 25 “full charge cycles”. As one example, if you charge the phone overnight, every night (and that is what you should do; it is a best practice), it starts the day at 100%. If it drops to 20% by the end of the day before you charge it again overnight that counts as 0.8 full charge cycles (20% to 100%), or about 24 full charge cycles per month of use. For this example your battery capacity will lose about 1% per month. Of course, if the end-of-day level is higher than 20% the capacity loss will be a little less, and if it is lower than 20%, or you charge it during the day, the capacity loss will be higher.

Once the capacity drops below 80%, or if there is a message in Battery Health that the battery is not meeting peak performance expectations, it’s time to change the battery→iPhone Battery Replacement - Official Apple Support

The absolute best way to get maximum use on a charge, as well as slow the decline of battery capacity long term is to enable Optimized Battery Charging (Settings/Battery/Battery Health) and charge the device overnight, every night. The battery will fast charge to 80%, then pause. During the nighttime pause the phone will use mains power instead of battery power, allowing the battery to “rest”, and thus reducing the need to charge the battery quite as often. The phone will resume charging to reach 100% when you are ready to use your phone; it will “learn” your usage pattern. If you enable iCloud Backup (Settings/[your name]/iCloud - iCloud Backup) the phone will back up overnight also, assuring that you can never lose more than the current day’s updates. Here's more information→About Optimized Battery Charging on your iPhone - Apple Support

Aug 8, 2022 12:22 AM in response to rwps

rwps wrote: "Yes original battery, but the phone was replaced with new under warranty, just before the 2yr warranty expired - so the phone is a couple of years newer. Battery capacity is 81% - it still works very well (except since the update :)..."

rwps ~ So how many years has this battery been used?

81% max capacity is weak and probably explains the symptoms.

Also, the long process of applying an iOS update to an old iPhone 6s Plus with a weak battery can be the proverbial "straw that broke the camel's back." Users then mistakenly blame the update instead of the weak battery. So have the battery replaced and all will (probably) be well:

iPhone Battery & Power Repair

About genuine iPhone batteries

Repair Provider Verification

(Articles found by searching Apple's Knowledge Base.)

õ¿õ¬

Aug 18, 2022 11:46 AM in response to AhsanZia220

How long have you had your iPhone 13? In normal use maximum capacity will drop about 1% a month, so if you have had it for more than 4 months 96% is about right, or if much more than 4 months, better than expected.

Batteries are consumables; they lose a little capacity every time they are discharged, then recharged. On average this works out to about a 1% loss for every 25 “full charge cycles”. As one example, if you charge the phone overnight, every night (and that is what you should do; it is a best practice), it starts the day at 100%. If it drops to 20% by the end of the day before you charge it again overnight that counts as 0.8 full charge cycles (20% to 100%), or about 24 full charge cycles per month of use. For this example your battery capacity will lose about 1% per month. Of course, if the end-of-day level is higher than 20% the capacity loss will be a little less, and if it is lower than 20%, or you charge it during the day, the capacity loss will be higher.

Once the capacity drops below 80%, or if there is a message in Battery Health that the battery is not meeting peak performance expectations, it’s time to change the battery→iPhone Battery Replacement - Official Apple Support

The absolute best way to get maximum use on a charge, as well as slow the decline of battery capacity long term is to enable Optimized Battery Charging (Settings/Battery/Battery Health) and charge the device overnight, every night. The battery will fast charge to 80%, then pause. During the nighttime pause the phone will use mains power instead of battery power, allowing the battery to “rest”, and thus reducing the need to charge the battery quite as often. The phone will resume charging to reach 100% when you are ready to use your phone; it will “learn” your usage pattern. If you enable iCloud Backup (Settings/[your name]/iCloud - iCloud Backup) the phone will back up overnight also, assuring that you can never lose more than the current day’s updates. Here's more information→About Optimized Battery Charging on your iPhone - Apple Support

Aug 31, 2022 9:20 AM in response to RS6DS3CS1

RS6DS3CS1 wrote:

FIX THIS PLEASE, or I’ll switch to a different phone.

No one participating in this thread can "FIX" anything on your phone and threatening to buy a different brand of phone won't change that.

If you're having problems with your phone, I suggest you contact Apple directly:

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Aug 7, 2022 11:52 PM in response to Alancito

Hi Alancito

Yes original battery, but the phone was replaced with new under warranty, just before the 2yr warranty expired - so the phone is a couple of years newer. Battery capacity is 81% - it still works very well (except since the update :)

I took screenshot earlier, and you can clearly see the very odd drain around 6am (when my wife got up). And the greatest battery use for the whole last 24 hrs is 25min of safari. This has happened multiple times since the update

Jul 25, 2022 2:10 AM in response to SravanKrA

The problem is with Apples ‘photos’ app, just today it’s already running for over 5 hours in background.

my background app refresh is off… but the photos app doesn’t show up on the list anyway. Notifications are off. Location off. Even Bluetooth off. I basically can’t use the phone for more than an hour without carrying a power pack.

iPhone 12 Pro is now useless to me

Jul 26, 2022 4:45 PM in response to Memejojo73

Same problem with my iPhone 13 Pro. Just updated to iOS 15.6 yesterday from iOS 15.5. I don't run a lot of apps ... read two newspapers, talk, text, and take a few pictures. From a full charge, phone drained to 20% in a couple of hours of nearly none use. iPhone 13 Pro got so hot in my pocket that I had to take it out and shut it off. This is not the first time I have had Apple battery issues after an iOS upgrade.

Jul 26, 2022 5:15 PM in response to ScottyAppleSeed

What app is using the most energy? After an update some apps (photos, especially) reindex their databases; this can take a day or two because it is a background process. So you can’t really get an accurate measure of battery usage for a couple of days after updating. You should also try restarting your phone any time battery drain is unusually high.

Battery drain since iOS 15.6 is ridiculous

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.