Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Turn display off after..." setting doesn't save

New MacBook Air M2 2022, macOS Monterey here.

I go into System Preferences > Battery > Battery > Turn display off after > a slide bar from 1 minute to never.

The default is 1 minute, I slide it over to 15 minutes. I close the System Preferences window. Leave. The display turns off after 1 minute. I go back in System Preferences to check, the slide bar is back at 1 minute. I then slide it to "Never". I leave, the display turns off after 1 minute. I check again, the slide bar is back at 1 minute.

How come my preference isn't saved and it always goes back to the default of 1 minute? Suggestions please.

MacBook Air, macOS 12.4

Posted on Jul 25, 2022 11:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 14, 2022 3:03 AM

I too tried to change it as part of my initial setup routine on my new M2 MacBook Air, and faced the exact problem.

After got shocked by Apple's horrible bugged macOS, I tried something out of the blue and believe it or not -- the solution is dead simple:

• Use click (press it on the trackpad) instead of tapping on the time slider, and then the new slider position will be applied.

I hope this finding helps someone out there. Good luck and enjoy your MacBook !!

Similar questions

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 14, 2022 3:03 AM in response to hpfanforever

I too tried to change it as part of my initial setup routine on my new M2 MacBook Air, and faced the exact problem.

After got shocked by Apple's horrible bugged macOS, I tried something out of the blue and believe it or not -- the solution is dead simple:

• Use click (press it on the trackpad) instead of tapping on the time slider, and then the new slider position will be applied.

I hope this finding helps someone out there. Good luck and enjoy your MacBook !!

Jul 26, 2022 1:06 PM in response to hpfanforever

Hello hpfanforever,

Ensuring your preferences are saving properly is important and you've come to a great place for help! Since having this issue have you restarted your Mac? If not, restarting is a great step that may help with resolving this issue. You can restart the Mac by clicking the Apple logo towards the top-left, followed by Restart in the menu.

If you continue to have issues after restarting your Mac, make sure you're running the latest version of macOS Monterey. You can check for available updates by clicking the Apple logo towards the top-left, followed by System Preferences > Software Update > Update Now. You can also find these steps in the article linked below.

Update macOS on Mac

Let us know how that goes!

Jul 27, 2022 8:16 AM in response to hpfanforever

Hey hpfanforever,

Let's see if the same issue happens while in safe mode. Safe mode starts up without login items, plus does a basic system check.

How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

Safe mode can help you to determine whether an issue is caused by software that loads as your Mac starts up.

Safe mode prevents your Mac from loading certain software as it starts up, including login items, system extensions not required by macOS, and fonts not installed by macOS. It also does a basic check of your startup disk, similar to using First Aid in Disk Utility. And it deletes some system caches, including font caches and the kernel cache, which are automatically created again as needed.
Safe mode is particularly useful when you're trying to resolve an issue that doesn't seem to be associated with using any particular app. As always, keeping your software up to date is the first step toward resolving any software issue.

It may take longer to finish the start up, as safe mode does those system checks, and can sometimes resolve issues. You'll also see some differences in the display. This is expected with safe mode, and when you restart normally, they'll be gone.

Make the change, and restart normally to see if it saved.

Let us know what happens.

Take care!

"Turn display off after..." setting doesn't save

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.