Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why do my texts to my wife and vice versa take so long to arrive?

We both have iphones (me an SE2020, her an 8 if that matters). We have always experienced long delays in recieving each other's texts. The delays happen if we are in different locations, or both at home on the same wifi. The delays happen if the messages are sent as text messages or as imessages. The longest delay we've experienced is 5+minutes, it's frequently 3-4 minutes. At this moment, I sent a number of texts to her (in same house on same wifi) in the last 16 minutes and none have been delivered. I don't know why they are being sent as text since we are both on wifi. I have tested this intermittently with many other people and the issue simply does not happen except between she and I. We use Cricket if that would make a difference? Thanks for any help, Chris

iPhone SE (Gen 2)

Posted on Jul 25, 2022 6:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 25, 2022 9:45 PM

iMessages reuire the internet, SMSs do not.

Connecting to Wifi is the first part and then getting connected to the Internet is the second

1. If you connect to Wifi, doesn't necessarily mean you are connected to the internet. If you are not connected to wifi could be a problem with iPhone settings or Router/Modem Settings
  2. If you are not connected to the internet is the sole issue of Router / Modem Settings. Contact your ISP immediately

For your Internet connection.

• Over Cellular: contact your Carrier (Cellular Service Provider). The agency who issued the SIM to you
  • Over WiFI: Contact your ISP (Internet Service Provider), the agency who provided the Internet Service on your Modem/Router to you

However --> Connect iPhone to the Internet - Apple Support

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 25, 2022 9:45 PM in response to fatgreta

iMessages reuire the internet, SMSs do not.

Connecting to Wifi is the first part and then getting connected to the Internet is the second

1. If you connect to Wifi, doesn't necessarily mean you are connected to the internet. If you are not connected to wifi could be a problem with iPhone settings or Router/Modem Settings
  2. If you are not connected to the internet is the sole issue of Router / Modem Settings. Contact your ISP immediately

For your Internet connection.

• Over Cellular: contact your Carrier (Cellular Service Provider). The agency who issued the SIM to you
  • Over WiFI: Contact your ISP (Internet Service Provider), the agency who provided the Internet Service on your Modem/Router to you

However --> Connect iPhone to the Internet - Apple Support

Jul 26, 2022 9:13 AM in response to SravanKrA

Hi, Thanks for such a swift reply. I'm not sure how I'd be connected to wifi but not the internet? My phone and tablets remain able to send and receive emails, to load web pages and stream videos. I couldn't do that if not connected to the internet could I?

In any case, I'll contact Cricket and see if they can help out at all. Perhaps we need new sim cards?

Why do my texts to my wife and vice versa take so long to arrive?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.