Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Old iPad keeps turning up with "incorrect password" to wifi network it previously had no problem joining

I have an old iPad 3, I believe it is. I've had it for like a decade. It's slow but still works. Now it suddenly won't connect to wifi, claiming the password is wrong for a network it normally has no problem joining. The password is correct, because it works with my other devices, Apple and non-Apple. I've reset the network settings on the iPad, and also restarted it, as well as made it forget the network. Still says "incorrect password" when I try to join. Any ideas? It this because the iPad is so old its firmware/software is becoming outdated and simply can't keep up? I haven't manually updated the wifi router or changed its settings, but maybe it has done so automatically?

iPad, iOS 9

Posted on Jul 26, 2022 1:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 26, 2022 2:28 AM

Connection issues that you describe are often simply resolved with a restart of the WiFi Router.

To restart you home router, disconnect power - then wait at least 30 seconds before restarting. When you router has rebooted (which may take several minutes), force-restart your iPad:

• On an iPad with a Home button: Press and hold the top button and the Home button at the same time. When the Apple logo appears, release both buttons.
  • On an iPad with Face ID: Press and quickly release the volume up button, press and quickly release the volume down button, then press and hold the top button. When the Apple logo appears, release the button.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 26, 2022 2:28 AM in response to Marianne H

Connection issues that you describe are often simply resolved with a restart of the WiFi Router.

To restart you home router, disconnect power - then wait at least 30 seconds before restarting. When you router has rebooted (which may take several minutes), force-restart your iPad:

• On an iPad with a Home button: Press and hold the top button and the Home button at the same time. When the Apple logo appears, release both buttons.
  • On an iPad with Face ID: Press and quickly release the volume up button, press and quickly release the volume down button, then press and hold the top button. When the Apple logo appears, release the button.

Old iPad keeps turning up with "incorrect password" to wifi network it previously had no problem joining

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.