Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Erratic behaviour of Synching music from iMAC to iPhone XR.

My main problem is using playlists set up on my iMac Music to transfer subsets of my library to my iPhone Music App. (I am using an USB link) Some playlists refuse to transfer despite following the recommended steps in "Finder" and worse is that if they do transfer they delete any playlists I have set up on the iPhone. The standard advice from Apple seems to be click the synch whole library option in Music preferences on the iMac but this is crazy as I do not want my entire library transferred to my iPhone or iPad mini!!! . Apple also seem to want me to sign up to Apple music as a solution, but a) I do not need this extra resource of songs and b) there is no guarantee that buying this streaming service will solve the synching problem.....Any suggestions people?? This is not the seamless integration I have hoping for with all Apple products.

iPhone XR, iOS 15

Posted on Jul 29, 2022 8:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 3, 2022 3:45 PM

Hello JAD2014,

It may be that the .mpeg format is not being recognized or not supported during the transfer. Try converting them to another format of your choice, then try syncing them again. Here are instructions on how to do that.

Convert music file formats in Music on Mac - Apple Support

1. "In the Music app  on your Mac, choose Music > Preferences, then click Files.
  2. Click Import Settings.
  3. In the Import Using pop-up menu, choose the format you want to convert songs to, then click OK to save the settings.
  4. Select one or more songs in your library, then choose File > Convert > Create [format] Version."

We hope this helps.

Cheers!

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 3, 2022 3:45 PM in response to JAD2014

Hello JAD2014,

It may be that the .mpeg format is not being recognized or not supported during the transfer. Try converting them to another format of your choice, then try syncing them again. Here are instructions on how to do that.

Convert music file formats in Music on Mac - Apple Support

1. "In the Music app  on your Mac, choose Music > Preferences, then click Files.
  2. Click Import Settings.
  3. In the Import Using pop-up menu, choose the format you want to convert songs to, then click OK to save the settings.
  4. Select one or more songs in your library, then choose File > Convert > Create [format] Version."

We hope this helps.

Cheers!

Jul 31, 2022 8:27 AM in response to JAD2014

Hi JAD2014,

It sounds like you’re seeking guidance when syncing your Music playlist from your iMac to your iPhone. Is that correct? If so, you’re in the right place to receive support, and we recommend the following troubleshooting steps via the link below.

Sync music between your Mac and iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

Please keep in mind that you can sync all or a selection of your music on your Mac to your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch. Also, know that if you subscribe to Apple Music, your music is transferred automatically to all your devices, and no syncing is required. You can’t use the syncing method described here unless you turn off the Sync Library option in Apple Music preferences.

With that being said, to perform the troubleshooting actions recommended via the article above, please read through and complete the steps in the section titled “Sync music to your device.”

We’re recommending the steps above because they directly address the issue you initially reached out to the community about, which is not being able to sync your music playlist from your Mac to your iPhone.

If the original problem persists after trying the previous steps, please provide us with specifics on what you see for more help, and we will continue from there. 

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities.

Cheers!

Aug 3, 2022 10:31 AM in response to J_Johnnyboy

Thank you for the initial advice. I had already completed the steps listed in your link article but have repeated them anyway. The problem remains, certain playlists and individual songs set up on the iMac Music do not transfer when hitting apply and then sync within Finder. These songs play ok on the Mac. I am using a USB connection between devices. (My Mac is up to date with software, macOS Catalina, 10.15.7, my iPhone XR is also up to date iOS 15.6). What seems to happen with some transfer attempts is when I hit sync is a little bit of activity for a few seconds in the status bar below the selection window in Finder, then nothing and no transfer detected to the iPhone. This is obviously different to when songs do actually transfer and you can even see the titles of the songs being transferred in the text below the status bar. Examples of songs that do not transfer are encoded as mpeg audio, but others that do include AAC purchased tracks. Some of my tracks in my library have of course been ripped from my own former CDs. Over to you!

Aug 18, 2022 11:05 AM in response to justinb2603

Thanks, eventually got round to this, and basically only AAC encoded music files will sync between the iMAC and the iPhone music apps. This means somewhat laboriously recreating my transfer playlist by checking the file format on each track and converting as you have shown me when the mpeg format does not transfer. Interestingly, it only takes one rogue mpeg in a playlist collection to block the transfer. I have also discovered that you have to leave the playlist selections ticked in the sync settings because what happens if you only want to update one playlist and think you need the other's unticked....whoops, the unticked ones disappear from the iPhone. As you say this seems to be a transfer problem, because the mpeg song tracks all play quite happily on the iMac and my older mini iPad.....not sure why Apple have designed it this way, but at least it now works and I can enjoy editing a new playlist all encoded as AAC!! .

Erratic behaviour of Synching music from iMAC to iPhone XR.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.