Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The screenshot shortcut stopped working today on Mac Studio - how can I fix it?

New Mac Studio we've had for just under two weeks and just updated to Monterey 12.5. The screenshot shortcuts worked maybe a day or so before not working anymore after the 12.5 install.

All screenshot shortcuts do nothing unless I open up the preference panel to shortcuts > screenshots and then it works 3 or 4 times ONLY while the preference panel is open. Then after the 3 or 4 screenshot shortcut tests, it stops again even with the preference panel open. I have tried clicking restore defaults in preferences.

I can open up the screenshot app and take screenshots ok it is just the shortcuts that no longer work.

Did not have this issue until after 12.5 install. Wondering if anyone else has same issue or if there is a fix or official bug reported yet

Mac Studio

Posted on Aug 1, 2022 7:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 1, 2022 8:05 AM

the shortcut continues to work for me on the latest version of monterey. since it's not working for you, I think I would try booting the Mac into safe mode and test again. if it works while in safe mode, restart normally and test again. sometimes a safe boot followed by a normal boot will clear up some issues.

please see this apple support page: How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 1, 2022 8:05 AM in response to marcvv

the shortcut continues to work for me on the latest version of monterey. since it's not working for you, I think I would try booting the Mac into safe mode and test again. if it works while in safe mode, restart normally and test again. sometimes a safe boot followed by a normal boot will clear up some issues.

please see this apple support page: How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

Aug 1, 2022 8:21 AM in response to marcvv

Any Third Party Applications that will interfere with the normal operation of the OS,  is an invitation for disaster and comprising the Operating System

Certain Applications maybe available on the Apple Apps Store - this only means the Developer is prepared to pay Apple a portion on each sale. What the Application may do to the computer is up to the User to check this out before purchase

Any of the below should be removed as per Developers Instructions

This will include CleanMyMac , This will include BitDefender

This will included Norton Antivirus , Sophos Av Software

Intego AntiVirus, McAfee, MacKeeper, Avast AntiVirus

Ad Guard, Webroot , ESET

The The Built in Security  is all that is required.

Aug 1, 2022 8:14 AM in response to marcvv

Like the previous posters, I have no problem using all the shortcuts for taking screenshots.

Try in safe mode, as suggested. If the problem does not manifest itself (and I think it won't), there is probably interference from some third party software that is installed in your mac.

Please run Etrecheck and post its full report here. Use the "additional text" button and paste the report into the text box.

Aug 1, 2022 8:29 PM in response to Luis Sequeira1

I went back to try Safe Mode after about 2 hours and the screenshot actually worked! I didn't change anything on the system or reboot again. I don't know if something was running in the background blocking it or some other issue.

I will test it random times over the next few days to see if the problem occurs again. I do not have any of the 3rd party apps noted in this thread by P. Phillips as I know those can cause issues. As a new Mac there aren't too many new things loaded on the system yet. The only variable I could pinpoint was the latest upgrade subversion to Monterey this past week.

If it occurs again I will update this thread but no news will be good news.

I thank everyone for their suggestions and replies

The screenshot shortcut stopped working today on Mac Studio - how can I fix it?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.