Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Monterey 12.5 Upgrade, Now Thunderbolt Display Doesn't work

Upgraded to 12.5 on my Mac-Mini and my Thunderbolt Display, which is my only display, no longer works. I also use the display ethernet so those are down and despite the thunderbolt showing active in system report NO devices are active. My storage is external Thunderbolt as well, so nothing is connected even after multiple reboots post upgrade, unplugging and replugging the devices etc.. Cannot even rollback 12.5 upgrade, all storage is thunderbolt attached. How can we fix this ?? computer ran without issues for many months until this update. Same update killed monitor on iMac Pro, however came back after single reboot post upgrade. Please assist as I am seeing hundreds of others affected online, Apple sending most to their monitor vendor, but mine is ALL APPLE.

Mac mini, macOS 12.5

Posted on Aug 1, 2022 7:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 2, 2022 8:24 AM

Makes zero sense but left them all unplugged and sitting half the day. Booted it back up with nothing connected. I however connected the TB devices to my laptop to "wake them up" and ensure working properly. With Mac-Mini already up and running and moved TB devices over and they stayed up and now register as connected on the mac-mini. Same issues with a TB Connected Drobo on another machine, iMac Pro when updating from 12.4 to 12.5 however resolution was much easier with only round of unplugging and rebooting both ends. Mac-mini not so much.. moving on..

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 2, 2022 8:24 AM in response to dgenton

Makes zero sense but left them all unplugged and sitting half the day. Booted it back up with nothing connected. I however connected the TB devices to my laptop to "wake them up" and ensure working properly. With Mac-Mini already up and running and moved TB devices over and they stayed up and now register as connected on the mac-mini. Same issues with a TB Connected Drobo on another machine, iMac Pro when updating from 12.4 to 12.5 however resolution was much easier with only round of unplugging and rebooting both ends. Mac-mini not so much.. moving on..

Aug 1, 2022 8:54 AM in response to Mal-S

I have no other apps installed, thunderbolt shows active, but not devices. My iMac Pro upgraded prior and tb attached storage also wasn't present after upgrade. however reboots were able to restore. I have not booted into safe mode as I have no monitor, not sure what it would accomplish in this instance especially as its widespread with Monterey according to my online searches. Onboard 10Gb nic being present allows me to remote desktop into device, but fear safe mode may not load network driver isolating me all together. A hot patch or fix for what's affecting thunderbolt for everyone would be very nice. This mac-mini server is offline and unavailable until that happens given Thunderbolt is used almost exclusively.

Aug 1, 2022 5:10 PM in response to dgenton

There is something specific to your setup that is causing this. There would have been an outcry if suddenly Thunderbolt would have stopped working. The advice to boot in Safe Mode is a solid one. How can you determine “Thunderbolt is active but no devices” if you can’t use a display? Are you reaching your mac via screen sharing? Do restart in Safe Mode and tell us the outcome.

Aug 2, 2022 5:33 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Not much "specifics" to my setup here folks, new mac-mini with apple thunderbolt display and thunderbolt OWC SSD drive. Only non apple software added is vmware fusion. Upgrade killed it, and yes as stated remote desktop is ONLY access to it. For outcry, check google..... thousands same complaint but its been since Monterey was introduced, my problem only started with 12.5 and it happened on 2 out of 3 devices but I should say the 3rd has no thunderbolt devices, the first 2 do. Yes have done ALL OF THE ABOVE, left power unplugged overnight even but its as if TB ports are now dead.

Monterey 12.5 Upgrade, Now Thunderbolt Display Doesn't work

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.