Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Getting back to using Apple TV remote to control HomePod volume with TV

After my apple tv ios 15.6 upgrade, my apple tv remote no longer controls volume on the connected homepod - i can only control volume via siri. how do I get back to using volume control on the remote? The remote volume only seems to adjust the sound on the TV itself, but I don't use that - only the HomePod.

Posted on Aug 6, 2022 8:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 7, 2022 10:50 PM

Are your HomePods connected to AirPlay with the Apple TV? The only time mine appears to not control the HomePods is if they somehow disconnected and I need to select them again to AirPlay to.

• you might also try signing out of iCloud on Apple TV, restart, then sign back in and be sure to turn HomeKit & AirPlay back on
  • If you have an Apple TV 4K and have the HomePods set to “default audio” you can try aiming the remote at the HomePod(s) instead

If none of the above works, then you can reset the HomePods and set them up again

Similar questions

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 7, 2022 10:50 PM in response to elizlk

Are your HomePods connected to AirPlay with the Apple TV? The only time mine appears to not control the HomePods is if they somehow disconnected and I need to select them again to AirPlay to.

• you might also try signing out of iCloud on Apple TV, restart, then sign back in and be sure to turn HomeKit & AirPlay back on
  • If you have an Apple TV 4K and have the HomePods set to “default audio” you can try aiming the remote at the HomePod(s) instead

If none of the above works, then you can reset the HomePods and set them up again

Aug 7, 2022 4:22 PM in response to kamote0628

I have no reset it. It responds to voice commands - just not to the AppleTV remote any longer. (It seems to have stopped responding to the remote around the time of the latest Apple TV IOS upgrade.)

Your link to reset instructions says I should only reset when I want to reset it to factory settings, etc. Still think I need to reset?

Getting back to using Apple TV remote to control HomePod volume with TV

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.