Trying to confirm my device password on my new macbook air

Just received my new MacBook Air and have set it up and signed into my apple account. Under my settings there is a "to do" in the Overview tab. The action required is "Confirm Device Password". I have clicked on Continue, the following pops up: "Confirm your device passcode to keep using iCloud. This passcode also protects access to data stored in iCloud." and I click on Continue again. A small screen pops up but immediately disappears. It seems that I am not able to actually enter my device password. Any ideas?

MacBook Air, macOS 12.4

Posted on Aug 10, 2022 2:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 16, 2024 6:52 AM

IT IS JANUARY 16, 2024 AND THE PROBLEM CONTINUES....

42 replies

Jan 21, 2023 10:52 AM in response to cuckoohk

No fixes from Apple yet...but anjit (the post above your one) has a workaround. This issue is not causing me any issues (other than being a pain to get rid of the notification all the time) so not sure if I really want to back up and then do a complete reinstall and then recover "selective" data. I don't know enough about what is what on my computer to know what selective data I should be recovering. COME ON APPLE...get this fixed.

May 21, 2023 8:31 PM in response to Mudwasp73

I'm having this same exact issue. Just purchased a brand new MacBook Air M2 last week and this issue is present. I updated to macOS Ventura 13.4, updated on iPad, and iPhone. Spent a long time with Apple Care support on the phone trying to reconfigure keychains and restarts in safe mode etc. Nothing has fixed this! Why is this problem still persisting without any software pushed to resolve this? This was posted 9 months ago here.

Aug 11, 2022 1:37 PM in response to Mudwasp73

Greetings Mudwasp73,

Make sure your Apple ID is set up correctly on your Mac. Here's a guide with some helpful information about setting up the Apple ID on your Mac: Set up your Apple ID password and security information on Mac - Apple Support.

Also, make sure that the Mac is connected to the same Wi-Fi network as your other Apple devices. If it is and you still have an issue, power off and restart the Mac. Often this simple step will refresh the apps and software on the device to solve numerous problems you may encounter.

Cheers!

Aug 17, 2022 12:09 PM in response to Mudwasp73

Mudwasp73,

Are all your devices up to date?

Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Update your Apple Watch - Apple Support

Update macOS on Mac - Apple Support

If you change the passcode on your other devices, does that behavior still persist? Use a passcode with your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Should that still continue, you'll want to reach out to Apple Support so they can look into this further: Contact - Official Apple Support

Take care.

Dec 14, 2022 6:24 PM in response to Geoffemo

Well, to fix this issue, I had to do the following:

1. Take a complete back up.
  2. Reinstall Ventura from scratch.
  3. Recover selective data. If you do a complete recovery from the back up, the same issue will come up again. I tried twice with a full recovery and had the same problem repeat itself.
  4. Best of luck.

Aug 17, 2022 9:03 AM in response to genieen16

Thank you. Like the others on this thread, I did all of these things AND I updated my OS to the most recent. My Apple ID is set up correctly, installed correctly, etc. It's the device password (not my ID password) that it seems to need. I had the same message when I updated my desktop to the newest OS and the steps worked perfectly. Something seems to be wrong with the Air M2 (which is what I have).

That said, I often get a restart to fix most of my issues...just to this one.

Trying to confirm my device password on my new macbook air

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.