Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacOS App store not recognizing my Apple ID password

I just replaced the HD in my Mac mini (late 2012). When I installed the OS, it installed 10.8.5. In order to upgrade to Catalina, I needed to upgrade it to Yosemite, El Capitan, or Sierra first. I was able to install Sierra and in order to upgrade to Catalina, I need to install it through the App store.

The App store is asking for my Apple ID/password. I entered it, but it's saying it's incorrect even though my phone/iPad beeped asking me to verify the login. I tried typing it slowly, but same thing happened. App store complains it's wrong, but my phone/iPad beeped. I was able to sign out/sign in to iCloud in the Mac so I know the password is correct. Also, I used the same ID/password to log into this forum from a different computer. I rebooted the Mac a few times, opened/closed the App store a few times, but it's still refusing to recognize my password. What's going on? If it was incorrect, why would my phone/iPad beep?

Mac mini, OS X 10.10

Posted on Aug 11, 2022 12:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 11, 2022 6:04 AM

Figured out the mystery. It's not obvious and there are no prompts. Here is the fix:

1) Enter Apple ID/password as directed.

2) It will complain that it's incorrect, but your phone will beep

3) On your phone, click Allow and note 6 digit code

4) On Mac, add 6 digit code from phone to end of the password

5) Now App store will accept the the password and continue.

Spent hours banging my head on this.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 11, 2022 6:04 AM in response to hshung

Figured out the mystery. It's not obvious and there are no prompts. Here is the fix:

1) Enter Apple ID/password as directed.

2) It will complain that it's incorrect, but your phone will beep

3) On your phone, click Allow and note 6 digit code

4) On Mac, add 6 digit code from phone to end of the password

5) Now App store will accept the the password and continue.

Spent hours banging my head on this.

MacOS App store not recognizing my Apple ID password

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.