Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV Stutters

For the last several weeks my AppleTV's performance has been downgrading. I get little artifacts on the screen, such as small bright spots that are intermittent. Then it will blank the screen for a millisecond, and repeat the last couple seconds of what I'm watching. Once this starts happening, it gets worse and worse until it's nearly unwatchable. YouTubeTV will display it's notice about problems, with a link to upload a problem ID to them. But it doesn't just happen with YouTubeTV, it also happens with Hulu and other apps such as HBOMax.

I've restarted the AppleTV box several times, and the TV as well, and also my router. I tested internet speed, and it's very high. Last night I reset it to factory startup and updated all the software, but it is still happening. I used my iPad last night to AirPlay video to it, but I still get the same problem.

IT feels to me as though the hardware is failing somehow.

Any ideas?

Apple TV 4K, tvOS 15

Posted on Aug 11, 2022 3:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 11, 2022 11:37 PM

First, please Identify your Apple TV model.

Similar questions

3 replies

Aug 12, 2022 9:32 AM in response to rkaufmann87

Thanks for getting back to me. Alas, I didn't see this until I got to the office, so can't check it.

However, last night I used my "Smart" TV to watch YouTubeTV, Hulu, etc., without using the AppleTV box. I experienced none of the stuttering issues I've been seeing lately. I did this after verifying it was still happening on the AppleTV. Which seems to verify that the problem is due to AppleTV hardware instead of connection. Though it does just occur to me that the TV is connected via Ethernet instead of Wifi. I'll run some tests this weekend, and will post my AppleTV model.

Aug 13, 2022 12:37 PM in response to rkaufmann87

It's A2169, 64GB. As I said earlier, I used the SmartTV to watch for the last couple days, and it's been working fine, no hitches. This morning I connected AppleTV to ethernet instead of using Wifi, and I'm getting the same problems. YouTubeTV is really bad, with very bad picture quality (which is new to me), and the same **** stutters, making it nearly unwatchable.

So my conclusion is something is very wrong with the AppleTV unit. I hate that UI on my "SmartTV" so am at a quandary. I guess i'll contact Apple support.

Apple TV Stutters

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.