Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't Send email with Apple Mail. Settings are all correct.

For some weird reason, Apple Mail will no longer send outgoing messages. I've quadruple checked my SMTP settings and everything is correct. Receiving mail works fine. When I downloaded and installed a new email client (Spark), I used the same settings without problem. Sending mail via Spark works as expected. My email/web host is out of ideas on what now to do. Anybody else run into this problem? And yes, I've restarted my 2021 iMac many times. MacOS is up to date. Thanks.

iMac 24″, macOS 12.5

Posted on Aug 12, 2022 1:05 PM

15 replies

Aug 12, 2022 1:07 PM in response to Scott_Citron

Scott_Citron wrote:

For some weird reason, Apple Mail will no longer send outgoing messages. I've quadruple checked my SMTP settings and everything is correct. Receiving mail works fine. When I downloaded and installed a new email client (Spark), I used the same settings without problem. Sending mail via Spark works as expected. My email/web host is out of ideas on what now to do. Anybody else run into this problem? And yes, I've restarted my 2021 iMac many times. MacOS is up to date. Thanks.

Contact Spark support or look at the website.

Aug 12, 2022 1:13 PM in response to razmee209

You misunderstood. Sending works as expected in Spark! No problem. Sending does not work in Apple Mail. It used to work in Mail, but not now. All macOS software (12.5) is up to date. The only reason I installed Spark was as a test. I'd like to return to using Mail but can't. BTW, I've deleted my email account in Mail and re-installed it now twice. Still no luck.

Thanks.

Aug 12, 2022 1:15 PM in response to Scott_Citron

Scott_Citron wrote:

You misunderstood. Sending works as expected in Spark! No problem. Sending does not work in Apple Mail. It used to work in Mail, but not now. All macOS software (12.5) is up to date. The only reason I installed Spark was as a test. I'd like to return to using Mail but can't. BTW, I've deleted my email account in Mail and re-installed it now twice. Still no luck.
Thanks.

NO I didn't misunderstand. Like I said contact Sparks since you can't send email using their account. Apple has no clue what settings you need to use for Sparks, only they do.

Doesn't if you use the web version it is access differently than using an app.

Aug 12, 2022 2:57 PM in response to Scott_Citron

Ok. Have you removed Spark? You removed/re-added your email account with no luck. Make sure the account is on/active and online in Mail>Preferences. Does Mail give you any status or error messages? If possible, try logging into webmail and see if that works.

When you say it won’t send, do you mean the mail message just stays in the outbox?

Aug 12, 2022 3:40 PM in response to Scott_Citron

Do you have another account in Mail you can try? And does it work?

I’m afraid you’re probably going to have to contact support on this one. I don’t see how Spark could work and Mail not, if they are using the same server settings, as the network obviously allows SMTP traffic and authentication succeeds. Spark, being the last change, must have changed something and you could remove it to see if it changes back, but I understand your apprehension about doing that because if it still doesn’t work, reinstalling Spark may not work again.

If you are using an app password, you may try creating a new one and using that.

Apple Support

Can't Send email with Apple Mail. Settings are all correct.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.