Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMessage does not let me keep my main phone number when travelling

I live in Canada, but I do travel sometimes to France to visit my family. I have two different SIM Card one Canadian (my main one) and one French (for travelling to France)

My iMessage/Facetime is associated with my Apple ID (email) and my Canadian number. I guess most people who contact me via iMessage are writing to the number and not the email.

In the past, when I was putting my French SIM Card, my iPhone was asking me if I wanted to add my French number to FaceTime/iMessage, and if I said no I could keep my Canadian cell number associated to iMessage/Facetime with the classic red warning that it must see that SIM card within 28 days otherwise the association is lost

Today, as soon as I put my French SIM Card in it, automatically and without asking switches, my iMessage/Facetime to Apple ID + French Number, dropping the Canadian number without asking.

Same if I insert my Canadian SIM back, it re-switches back without asking to email+Canadian number.

Is there a golden path to be re-prompted with that message so I can refuse the change to the French SIM Card? I am on iOS 15.6, for sure the message was still existing in earlier iOS 15.X versions as I have travelled without issue a couple times already.

iPhone 12 mini, iOS 15

Posted on Aug 13, 2022 7:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 13, 2022 10:26 AM

See if anything here helps. See the Apple Support article(s) below. Link to contact Apple Support at the end of the article.

Messages or FaceTime - Add or remove your phone number.    *

Similar questions

1 reply

iMessage does not let me keep my main phone number when travelling

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.