Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why are only 2 apps showing when I visit the Applications folder using Terminal?

When using Finder, my Applications folder shows a ton of apps. But when I go into it using Terminal, only two show up. What would cause such a weird situation?

Thank you!

iMac 27″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Aug 13, 2022 8:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 14, 2022 5:47 AM

There is the Applications folder that you see in the Finder window Favorites sidebar which contains installed Apple and third-party applications. There is a second Application folder within your home directory when you first open the Finder, and there should be nothing in it unless you put it there, as it is not targeted by installers, and is purely optional. Personally, I never use this local Applications folder, choosing to pretend it does not exist.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 14, 2022 5:47 AM in response to bentStaple

There is the Applications folder that you see in the Finder window Favorites sidebar which contains installed Apple and third-party applications. There is a second Application folder within your home directory when you first open the Finder, and there should be nothing in it unless you put it there, as it is not targeted by installers, and is purely optional. Personally, I never use this local Applications folder, choosing to pretend it does not exist.

Aug 14, 2022 1:13 PM in response to bentStaple

NOTE: I'm doing this on a Monterey 12.5 system, so if there are differences, they are operating system specific

Continuing with VikingOSX, you see the applications included with macOS (these cannot be deleted) using

/bin/ls /System/Applications

You see the applications you have installed that are available for all users using

/bin/ls /Applications

You see the applications just for your account using

/bin/ls $HOME/Applications

And you can see the core services applications using

/bin/ls /System/Library/CoreServices/Applications

Why are only 2 apps showing when I visit the Applications folder using Terminal?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.