Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro mid 2012 unresponsive trackpad

I have a Macbook Pro mid 2012. It is running Catalina 10.15.7. The trackpad is not responding correctly. When I try to copy and paste, it won't let me select the entire paragraph. It selects only a word or two or it seems to have a mind of it's own! When I want to click on something, I have to click several times to get a response. What can I do?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Aug 15, 2022 7:06 AM

Similar questions

7 replies

Aug 15, 2022 10:26 AM in response to Debra Kahn

I had that problem in my 13" mid-2012 Unibody. I looked inside when I replaced the RAM and found that it had a slightly swollen battery. It pressed against the base of the trackpad and prevented "clicks" except maybe on one of the corners, and I had to press really hard. I had the battery replaced a couple of months ago at an Apple Store and the trackpad works normally again.

If it's a swollen battery, it could impact other things if it gets worse. One could cause permanent damage - especially to the glass trackpad.

Cracked MacBook touch pad - Apple Community

Aug 15, 2022 6:39 PM in response to Debra Kahn

Debra Kahn wrote:
Can you tell me what causes a swollen battery?

There are all sorts of things that cause swollen batteries, including manufacturing defects, usage conditions, or just random bad luck. Other than this one, I've seen a few other swollen batteries including a 2007 MacBook where the semi-external battery (kind of attaches) swelled out and didn't damage anything inside. Or a Mophie USB power bank that's clearly ballooned.

Debra Kahn wrote:
Will they diagnose it at the Apple store? And is it worth replacing the battery considering the age of the computer? How much will it cost? Thank you for your responses!

A diagnosis at an Apple Store should be free. I wanted to get my battery replaced for some time but was waiting for a message to have it serviced. I believe Apple doesn't perform battery replacements unless they're clearly malfunctioning or depleted below 80% battery health.

I still enjoy using my mid-2012 MBP. It's not the latest but it does what I need from it, and I was able to install my own memory and drive. I got it for $129 plus tax at my local Apple Store. The price isn't listed, but it's one of those things that are still done. One has to dig a bit for information that they may still do battery replacements up to 10 years after a particular Mac model was discontinued.

Macbook Pro mid 2012 unresponsive trackpad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.