Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

photo sorting

Need some help, please. Just got my first iPhone. The only photo albums I have are the defaults. Everything is in recent. It has them sorted oldest to newest. I want them newest to oldest, so the new ones are at the top, not the bottom. But there doesn't seem to be any way to sort them. I looked at the tutorials, and the icons they show to sort the photos aren't showing up on my phone. Same problem if I go to library. The only icons are 'select' and the three dots. The dropdown from the three dots has zoom in, zoom out, aspect, filters, your photos only, and yours and shared. Nothing about sorting. And it doesn't have the usual sort icon left of the select icon, like it shows in the Apple help section.

iPhone 13, iOS 15

Posted on Aug 15, 2022 2:29 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 16, 2022 11:12 PM

Hi JenniferJBS,

Welcome to the Apple Community.

We are all Apple users, like yourself :-)

Seems the default albums automatically reflect some of the photos in the Library

To take charge of your photos, you can create your own albums, and sort your photos in the albums.

How to Make photo albums

How to Edit and organize albums

Seems you can filter and sort photos (eg: newest to oldest) in an Album you create:

Filter and sort photos in an album on iPhone – Apple Support

Hope this helps.

More info, if needed:

Tap "Table of Contents" at the top of the page that opens from the link below.

For all the articles on using iPhone Photos, Tap on "Apps", then "Photos":

iPhone User Guide – Apple Support

All the. best :-)

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 16, 2022 11:12 PM in response to JenniferJBS

Hi JenniferJBS,

Welcome to the Apple Community.

We are all Apple users, like yourself :-)

Seems the default albums automatically reflect some of the photos in the Library

To take charge of your photos, you can create your own albums, and sort your photos in the albums.

How to Make photo albums

How to Edit and organize albums

Seems you can filter and sort photos (eg: newest to oldest) in an Album you create:

Filter and sort photos in an album on iPhone – Apple Support

Hope this helps.

More info, if needed:

Tap "Table of Contents" at the top of the page that opens from the link below.

For all the articles on using iPhone Photos, Tap on "Apps", then "Photos":

iPhone User Guide – Apple Support

All the. best :-)

Aug 17, 2022 2:22 AM in response to JenniferJBS

You're welcome.Thank you for your reply. and for letting us know.

Sorry things were not as you would wish. Seems we often want things the way they were.

It might make more sense, when you have accumulated a few thousand photos.

You can move multiple photos from the Library in one go>

Add photos and videos to an existing album

Tap Library at the bottom of the screen, then view your photos by Days or All Photos.

Tap Select at the top of the screen.

Tap the photos and videos you want to add, then tap .

Tap Add to Album from the list of actions.

Tap the album you want to add to.

You can always send feedback to Apple, if you wish.

There's a webpage for sending feedback:

Product Feedback - Apple:

Cheers :-)

Aug 17, 2022 4:49 PM in response to JenniferJBS

Sorry, JenniferJBS, I don't know why Apple does the things that it does within its software packages..

We are all Apple users, like yourself, so don't know a whole lot more more than what you do.

Apple supplies a lot of free software, and we can use it, or add other apps (eg: from the App Store) that suit us.

Most of us persevere with learning new methods from time to time, as all technology moves through changes.

Our old ways of doing things are often "sacrificed",. (As you say, Android and iOS are different),.

A new iOS (operating system) version, with software updates, will become available before long, as it often does.

If needed:

There's a Photos Support Team online:

(with a "Get Support" link or a support app. at the bottom of their website)

Photos - Official Apple Support:

Aug 17, 2022 2:30 AM in response to brbo

Having to scroll down past a few thousand photos to get to the most recent ones sounds like a nightmare. Since other folders have the Sort feature why not just add it to all the folders? Obviously it's possible to add the Sort feature since other folders have it. Why only have the Sort feature on some folders, not all of them?

photo sorting

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.