You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Keyboard shortcut for search bar in Mac apps?

Is there a keyboard shortcut to replicate clicking in the Search bar in, e.g., Mail, Messages, Finder, and other apps? I know Command-F will search for text within the current, e.g., open email, but I want to search on sender's name, and I'd prefer to do it via keyboard rather than clicking the mouse up in the right-hand corner where the search bar is.

Posted on Aug 22, 2022 4:33 PM

3 replies

Aug 22, 2022 5:43 PM in response to rick7

That's odd that Mail switches the two around. I would expect the search box shortcut to be the same as everything else.

I rarely get an email message that is so large I have to search for something in its contents. Seems that one should be cmd-opt-f.

I submitted feedback to swap the two, but I don't have much faith it will be changed.

Aug 22, 2022 5:19 PM in response to rick7

I don't have access to Mail on Monterey at the moment.

This article doesn't indicate there is one, but I normally search for shortcuts in the menus.

Pull down a menu (probably Edit), then hold down each modifier key (Option, Shift, Ctrl). Look for changes in the menus as you hold each one. Continue into the submenus, also.

If you don't find a shortcut listed next to a command, you can create your own custom shortcut for a menu item that doesn't have one. Create keyboard shortcuts for apps on Mac - Apple Support

Keyboard shortcut for search bar in Mac apps?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.