Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

CD/DVD Drive not seen by Finder

Ok, I have searched for weeks for an answer. ALL boxes are checked.

my iMac is now running High Sierra, have replaced the drive with a new one.

Still NOT showing any disc by the Finder. I can hear it on Start up, Wake up and when a disc is put in.

BUT not available......

NOW when purchased it worked fine, BUT since the operating system have been upgraded it does not.

So this leads me to believe that files or drivers are missing with these upgrades.

I was able to open the files from the original operating system from a external drive and replace some of the files BUT no luck still doesn't show up in the finder.....

So what you guys think?

WHATS MISSING?

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Aug 27, 2022 3:48 AM

5 replies

Aug 27, 2022 8:23 AM in response to walter110

We need to see what all is running, a report from this will not display any personal info...

EtreCheck is a FREE simple little diagnostic tool to display the important details of your system configuration and allow you to copy that information to the Clipboard. It is meant to be used with Apple Support Communities to help people help you with your Mac. It will not display any personal info.

https://www.etrecheck.com/

Pastebin is a good place to paste the whole report if you capture the URL while there…

https://pastebin.com/

Workable but harder for me to work with...the Note tool on the bottom of this editor's toolbar, as shown in the image, to copy and paste the output from EtreCheck. In a Reply before you click post, look for this to add longer texts...

Aug 27, 2022 10:32 AM in response to walter110

You have not told us what drive you have purchased. Have you tried inserting multiple disks with the same result? I have an external CD drive that works fine and it shows up on the desktop when a readable disk is installed. My computer (running Monterey) does not require a driver. You might check on the support page of your driver's manufacturer and see if they offer any drivers or possible answers to your problem.

Aug 28, 2022 2:35 PM in response to walter110

I’m mildly surprised this Mac even boots.

I’d wipe this Mac and start over.

Between the cleaners and the add-on anti-malware and the rest, anything that corrupts the system can be hard to find and harder still to resolve. Cleaners and de-dup tools and tuning tools and anti-malware can introduce issues and corruptions.

I see MacKeeper and BitDefender and some MacPaw bits and Cleaner One Pro, etc. These and similar tools usually get removed around here, preferably using either the built-in security or add-on endpoint security.

It’s also an 8 GB HDD configuration, which will forever be slow. This Mac is massively overloaded. An SSD can help, but it’s still a very old and obsolete Mac. There are of course a whole lot of folks that will happily offer you “fixes” for an under-purchased Mac of course. Fixes which can make things worse.

And this stuff:

“18317518689845093659/604464573749512250 9D52CB28-5F43-5C14-9BCC-9B47097C49CE 1137”

“com.11595215900288955508._11595215900288955508/_2559284840949291113”

”net.6063872109184366263.9DF54D5F-9B91-46E4-B962-63C854FCB877.plist”

”com.15703586462797250949.plist”

…looks really sketchy. Adware? Malware?

Microsoft Silverlight is still here, too. That got retired.

I’ve seen reports that at least some versions of that “freedownloadmanager” app might not be desirable.

Some old Starfield backup stuff?

I’d look for an update to Roxio.

Still using the Samsung SmartSwitch?

That looping ensd process from CHENGDU Yiwo (probably part of the EaseUS backup tool) isn’t helping things.

If the EaseUS stuff isn’t working and if Time Machine is offline for as long as it has and no other backup is in use, get some backups of your data.

This Mac is just … a mess.

I’d get a couple of backups, wipe it and reload, and migrate documents and settings, and manually re-install current apps.

The only real fix for the performance issues—this Mac was probably under-purchased when new, and it’s only gotten more overloaded in the past ~decade—is more memory (8 GB is far too little) and an SSD, or a newer or new replacement Mac.

Aug 28, 2022 3:49 PM in response to walter110

Delete these files & restart...

~/Library/LaunchAgents/com.setapp.DesktopClient.SetappAgent.plist

~/Library/LaunchAgents/com.BlueStacks.AppPlayer.Updater.plist

~/Library/LaunchAgents/com.setapp.DesktopClient.SetappLauncher.plist

/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.mackeeper.AntiVirus.plist

~/Library/LaunchAgents/com.setapp.DesktopClient.SetappUpdater.plist

/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.easeus.dataprotectbackup.plist

~/Library/LaunchAgents/org.freedownloadmanager.fdm5.helper.plist

~ tilde indicates your home folder

Apple hid the Users' Library folders...

Method 1:

1 From the Finder, select the Go menu at top of the screen, and choose Go to Folder.

2 In the window that opens, enter ~/Library, and click Go.

Uninstall Bit Defender then run another etrecheck report...

CD/DVD Drive not seen by Finder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.