Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Automation privacy preferences unavailable at times

I have this strange symptom in which all of the apps registered under the automation privacy & security preferences sometimes are non-existent after unlocking my MacBook. I have similar problems with SecureInput messing with keystroke-based utilities such as 1Password or Keyboard Maestro, and I'm guessing this relates to it because what happens is that I cannot run anything depending upon System Events. I must log out and back in again for the SecureInput issue to resolve, and I need to restart for the automation preferences to come back.

(Before and after screenshots above)

I have an installation of macOS Monterey 12.5.1, which is almost new and fresh (a 100% clean installation), with no unique add-ons that could mess with the system in such a manner, so I am not 100% convinced that my apps should be the problem, rather than the system messing up since I have had the same problems in my previous installation.

Any thoughts regarding this could be helpful since it is pretty annoying.

Posted on Aug 29, 2022 11:34 PM

Similar questions

5 replies

Aug 31, 2022 12:28 AM in response to NelsC7

Thank you for taking the time to get back to me. Unfortunately, I cannot replicate the problem consistently enough to be able to use safe mode for troubleshooting. The problems occur 4-5 times a week, so I would have to spend a lot of time there, which I cannot do since I am using my MacBook for work. Removing and adding apps there does not seem to work.

Aug 31, 2022 7:32 AM in response to Massimo Fiorentino

Massimo Fiorentino,

Understood, thanks for trying removing those apps and testing. To check a few other things and see if we can further narrow this down, does this happen with any other sections of System Preferences > Privacy, or System Preferences in general?

Also, you mentioned you use the Mac for work. Are there any profiles running, or Mobile Device Management? If so, this could be a potential cause for the settings behaviors you're noticing. Try clicking System Preferences > Profiles. Do you have anything there? Use configuration profiles to standardize settings on Mac computers - Apple Support

Let us know, and have a good one.

Aug 31, 2022 8:41 AM in response to ryane77

Thank you for your help here. No, I do not have any profiles or device management running. And neither do I have other sections of the System Preferences with issues.

Just to clarify further: At times, LoginWindow somehow triggers SecureInput, which renders the ability to use accessibility-driven shortcuts or inputs/outputs impossible. That is why I think the problem is related to the System Preferences issues, even though it isn’t SecureInput that messes with the Automation settings, as far as I know. Both get triggered by a login and relate to automatisation.

Automation privacy preferences unavailable at times

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.