Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV 4K (2021) YouTube app video cuts out after starting to use ESPN + subscription

I have 2 Apple TV 4k (2021) boxes on separate TVs. Both have started to show this problem. The problem is video cuts out, audio still plays and is heard, or sometimes the video blinks off/on for a second or two whenever a YouTube video starts or when an ad plays. This is really troubling.

I have removed the ESPN app (deleted) and the YouTube app (deleted), that did not fix the problem. I Reset one of the Apple TVs and re-set it up via my iPhone and reconfigured my TV provider and ESPN + subscription for the ESPN app. Initially, this seemed to fix the YouTube video problem, so I also Reset the second Apple TV the same way. Both seemed to be fixed. Tonight I watch some Tennis in the ESPN app on both Apple TVs and now both are starting to show the same YouTube video cutout problem again.

I only recently signed up for the ESPN + subscription. This YouTube video problem never happened before and seems to be caused by the ESPN app.

Does anyone have any help or resolutions for this?

Apple TV 4K, tvOS 15

Posted on Aug 30, 2022 10:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 31, 2022 7:12 AM

YouTube ads seem to be running at 24 frames per second instead of the standard 30. This is now causing my TV to stutter and re-sync whenever an ad gets served up. I don’t know if they’ve always been at a different frame rate or this is something new, but this behavior is new.

23 replies

Aug 30, 2022 11:21 PM in response to biosol2

I found a post on Reddit that suggests turning off Frame rate Match and Dynamic Range Match. That seems to fix it. But it's strange, because I believe I have had both of those Match settings on for a long time and this problem just started this week...

I guess I can try the frame rate and dynamic range matching only when watching real movies.

The version on both ATVs is 15.6

Sep 11, 2022 12:30 AM in response to WVAdzMan

Thanks for this post. I was struggling with the same issue for weeks. I tried a few things to resolve the issue including software updates and reinstalling YouTube but nothing worked. Today I followed your suggestion and it solved the problem instantly. By simply turning off the Frame Rate Match and Dynamic Range Match in Video setting the issue was fixed and YouTube now runs smoothly. Thanks for the advice.

John Sotomayor

Amsterdam, The Netherlands

Sep 14, 2022 8:29 PM in response to biosol2

It’s not the ESPN app. I have the 4th gen (freshly updated to tvOS 16) and every single ad on the youtube app has problems with the audio and video cutting out. tried deleting and reinstalling the app, restarting and resetting the unit. nothing worked except for turning off match frame rate as biosol2 suggested. I also had those settings on for a long time and never had issues before.

Oct 24, 2022 4:01 AM in response to biosol2

This is ridiculous, it’s been months know and it’s still a problem! Yes switching off Frame-rate matching and HDR matching fixes it but every other streaming app needs it! I’m wondering if it is Apple telling us to buy their new AppleTV!? I’m still on a 2017 4K! No problems other then going back and forth switching this feature on and off between YouTube and everything else.

Apple TV 4K (2021) YouTube app video cuts out after starting to use ESPN + subscription

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.