apple hdmi tv adapter audio not working with ios 16

My Apple HDMI TV adapter only shows picture, not audio, with iOS 16. I am in a very rural area with only cellular access, so this is a huge disappointment. (iPhone 12 mini and iPhone 13 Pro) Worked fine before the update!

iPhone 13 Pro, iOS 16

Posted on Sep 14, 2022 7:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 18, 2022 8:34 PM

So after redownloading PV it still doesn’t have sound. YT, Disney+ and Netflix are all good. However, Hulu, Discovery+ and Peacock don’t have sound either and has a hard time loading the video same as PV. Choppy and pixelated.

Similar questions

182 replies

Dec 3, 2022 7:50 PM in response to JohnnyDarryl

I’m having the same issue and posted the following on a different Apple discussion thread. I hope it’s not true what another poster wrote.

Tlainenich

User level:

Level 1

8 points

Dec 3, 2022 4:01 PM in response to J_Johnnyboy

Not sure if you’ve seen the comment below from one of the other poster's but if this is correct, APPLE should advise their consumers. Also, if you have an email address or phone number to someone that handles the APPLE updates, I would be happy to FaceTime them and show them in realtime what happens now when trying to watch specific aps after the most recent Apple update. Specifically, when I try and watch Cable tv through “My Spectrum TV app” I either get a black screen with sound or a picture with no sound that lags with each frame. I borrowed my son’s IPhone 11 and intentionally had him not download the most recent APPLE update and everything works beautifully- imagine that! The fact that multiple people are having this exact problem is not a coincidence. The sad part is I purchased the new IPhone 14 (on back order) hoping that may help, but evidently it won’t based on some of these comments. The comment I referred to below from another poster seems more plausible, but I would really appreciate clarification from Apple directly. If it is true, this would be a huge disappointment and I would need to research going to Android which I honestly don’t want to do. If the folks at Apple read these comments, I implore you to please fix this issue.

”I was on phone with an iPhone rep with and the rep basically told me that the new iOS 16 won’t work with HDMI any more due to content providers clamping down on pirating of movies and other copyrighted things. Apparently using an HDMI cable is how they do it and seems it will no longer be an option for people any more. People will have to now spend money on internet provider or hotspot to cast or mirror movies and tv shows now. That’s gonna get expensive. Hooking my phone into my tv in my big rig was a great way for a long haul trucker like me to watch movies on a bigger screen than my iPhone. No longer. The big corporations have spoken and they want more money under the guise of cracking down on piracy.”

Sep 17, 2022 5:16 PM in response to NewMacbookProOwner

Hello NewMacbookProOwner,

Thank you for reaching out in Apple Support Communities. With the HDMI TV adapter, is it manufactured by a third party company or are you using the Apple branded Lightning Digital AV Adapter or Lightning to VGA Adapter?

If you're using one of the Apple branded adapters, we suggest to follow these steps as it can help resolve your issue:

Get help
Find out what to do when you have the following issues.

If you see video but can't hear audio

Make sure that you're using a Digital AV adapter (which has an HDMI port). If you're using a VGA adapter, it doesn't carry audio signals. To hear audio with a VGA adapter, you need to connect to the headset jack on your TV, monitor, projector, or stereo.

If an app doesn't display video or play audio

The app might not be compatible with your adapter. Check compatibility on the app's info page in the App Store or contact the developer.

If an alert says that an HDCP-compatible device is required

Your content might not be compatible with your adapter. Movies, TV shows, and certain streaming video apps require High-Bandwidth Digital Content Protection (HDCP). If you try to play these movies, shows, and streaming videos using a non-HDCP digital connection—like the Apple VGA Adapter—an alert will ask for an HDCP-compatible device.

If you need help with other issues

1.Disconnect and reconnect your adapter from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch and from your TV, monitor, or projector.
2.Make sure that your VGA or HDMI cable works, since the issue could be with the cable.
3.Remove any VGA or HDMI extension cables or converters. Accessories that convert a VGA or HDMI signals to different video formats (DVI, Composite, Component) aren't compatible.
4.Make sure that you have the latest version of iOS.

For more help, contact Apple Support, to set up service for your:
iPhone
iPad
iPod touch

This information is outlined in this helpful article: About Apple Digital AV Adapters for iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

We look forward to hearing back from you with an update.

Kind regards.

Jan 12, 2023 6:42 AM in response to 4whatitisworth

It's never time to speculate here.

From the Terms of Use to which we all agreed when we joined:

1. Stay on topic. Apple Support Communities is here to help people use Apple products and technologies more effectively. Unless otherwise noted, do not post Submissions about non-technical topics, including:
    1. Speculation or rumors about unannounced products.
    2. Discussion of Apple policies or procedures or Apple’s moderation of the Site.

Apple Support Communities Use Agreement - Apple Community

Sep 18, 2022 12:04 AM in response to bryanr14

I have the same issue. 3 phones all did the same thing after upgrading to ios16. 2 iPhone 13s and our SE. When we plugged in the adapter to each one a message came and said that the firmware needed to be updated for the accessory. After firmware updated we had picture but no audio. Tried 2 different Apple hdmi adapters and hdmi cables and 2 tvs. Please fix.

Sep 18, 2022 5:54 AM in response to AandSFreddy

Are you using DirectTV Stream by any chance? Guess what? The adapter works fine with HBO Max and Netflix. It seems as if the

problem is on DT Stream’s end, not Apple’s. DirectTV had me delete and redownload their app. That worked. I thought the problem was solved, but it quit working as soon as I ended the chat with DirectTV. I haven’t contacted them again, yet. My hope is that there will be enough complaints for them to fix it.

Sep 28, 2022 12:49 PM in response to NewMacbookProOwner

I am so glad I found this. I was going insane trying to figure out what I pressed to make this all stop working. I have managed to only get one or the other. Video no sound or sound no video. I was at the point where I was about to throw the whole thing away. lol

I am also not able to use Prime Video or Paramount+ anymore. Netflix and YouTube tv are still working but have not tried HBOMax yet.

Oct 26, 2022 12:29 PM in response to NewMacbookProOwner

After a phone support session with Apple, a senior engineer said they’ve had hundreds of complaints and they’re working on it. There is no solution right now, but they are working on it and will release an update once they correct it. I’m exhausted from two online chat supports, two phone supports, an appointment with an Apple authorized Best Buy, and an appointment with an Apple Store. I can’t wait until this is corrected.

apple hdmi tv adapter audio not working with ios 16

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.