Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Extreme lag and beachballs on Monterey

I haven't any issues with this computer until this update. I got rid of every 32 bit program on here I could find. I also reinstalled the Mac os. I saw some topics here with similar issues provide an etrecheck report so that is attached above.

Basically until I updated to Monterey I never had an issues, but since installing it I got a lot of beachballing and other lag. At times I can't even use imessage or check my email without it taking a minute or more of beachballing to load. My computer is a 5k imac with 24 GB of ram and less than 3 years old so this shouldn't be an issue. 

When I load up bootcamp and run windows I do not experience these problems or any lag at all. I am even able to run high intensity games on bootcamp with no issue yet on the mac partition I can barely open the window at times for example Excel took like 10 minutes this morning to even open on Monterey. 

Already tried resetting PRAM and NVRAM.

Posted on Sep 14, 2022 11:10 AM

Similar questions

5 replies

Sep 14, 2022 11:55 AM in response to anthonyd462

More than one antivirus app - This computer has multiple antivirus apps installed.

Antivirus software: Apple, CleanMyMac, and Malwarebytes

Cleanmymac is considered malware around here.

You should absolutely uninstall it, then post another report to make sure it is completely gone.

In many cases, macs affected by this **** require a clean install. Fortunately, with Big Sur and Monterey, the system volume is sealed, so it can't be modified.

You should not have MalwareBytes running all the time, only run it manually in case there is a reason to - which, with a well taken care of mac, is usually never.

This post by one of the most respected members of this community should be read everyone who cares about keeping their macs safe and secure:

Effective defenses against malware and other threats

Sep 14, 2022 11:17 AM in response to anthonyd462

Download and run Etrecheck.  Copy and paste the results into your reply. Etrecheck is a diagnostic tool that was developed by one of the most respected users here in the ASC and recommended by Apple Support  to provide a snapshot of the system and help identify the more obvious culprits that can adversely affect a Mac's performance.

Copy the report

and use the Additional Text button to paste the report in your reply.

Then we can evaluate the report to see if we can determine the cause of the problem.

Sep 14, 2022 12:00 PM in response to anthonyd462

Your mac has a Fusion Drive, and to make matters worse, one with only a 28GB SSD part.

You should consider getting yourself an external SSD connected via USB3, and use it to boot your mac. The difference will be very noticeable.

You also have many extensions, agents and daemons that are very old - using 10.5 and 10.6 SDK.

Some of those are known not to be compatible with Monterey.

It is clear that you have been upgrading in place, and across macs, for several years, probably a decade or more.

It is high time to do a clean install, followed by the migration of ONLY the user accounts.

Sep 14, 2022 12:11 PM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Hey thanks for the response.

Yea I find that weird about Clean my mac, because I never remember downloading it and when I go to my application folder I do not see it. Is there somewhere else it might be installed? I only did malware bytes to try and fix this problem so I have no problem uninstalling MB it if need be.

I have a 2 TB External HDD connected via USB 3.0 that I usually put larger video files on so it doesn't take up space on the actual imac I wasn't aware I could boot from it though.

Yes I had a 2012 21.5" imac for years then moved all that stuff to this newer 27" imac in 2019 when I bought it.

Extreme lag and beachballs on Monterey

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.