Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airpod volume extremely loud when answering a call with IOS 16

I just installed IOS 16 yesterday, and this problem just showed up.

No matter what volume my phone (iPhone 12 mini) is set at, when I get a phone call and then insert my airpods in my ears before answering, the volume from my ringtone through the airpods starts out painfully loud.

Is this an IOS 16 issue or did installing the OS mess up some of my previous settings?

Thanks

Rich

iPhone 12 mini

Posted on Sep 14, 2022 2:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 23, 2022 9:35 AM

What’s funny is Apple AirPod pros are designed to filter out noise as to not damage your hearing. But when you get a phone call, it nearly blows out your eardrums no matter what the volume setting.

47 replies

Dec 9, 2022 12:03 PM in response to doviman

I have the same issue. It seems like many others do as well. This is extremely damaging to one’s hearing. Every time I get a phone call I yank my AirPods out like they’re on fire and my heart starts pounding wildly because it’s so insanely loud and jarring. It’s deafening. Apple only gives generic responses and doesn’t bother addressing the problem at all. I sound ridiculous but it’s ridiculous they have this awful technical issue that is genuinely affecting our health and blowing out our ear drums from an issue they refuse to resolve.

[Edited by Moderator]

Sep 19, 2022 6:48 AM in response to UTBadger

Adjusting the volume on my airpods is not my problem at all.

I can put in my airpods and then play music, listen to a podcast, make a phone call. No problem.

This issue is specific to receiving a phone call. When I get a phone call now, my ringtone will start playing on my phone. I pull out my airpods from the case and place them in my ears. It is at that point, once the airpods connect and the ringtone starts coming thru the airpods instead of directly from the phone speakers, that I get painful volume as I'm sliding my finger on the phone screen to answer the call.

This never happened before I upgraded to IOS 16. If it's an IOS bug, I'd like to understand that. If it is some setting that got reset when I updated the IOS, I'd like to understand that.

Oct 22, 2022 1:34 AM in response to doviman

I’m having a similar issue, but my problem is only when I make calls. While waiting for the other person to pick up the phone it rings extremely loudly. I turn the volume of the call all the way down, and it’s still unbearable. When the person answers the volume works with the buttons and is adjustable again. This is extremely aggravating for making calls with AirPods in

Sep 18, 2022 1:07 PM in response to rich-nh

Hey rich-nh,

We'd be happy to help. Sounds like your AirPods are louder than expected when you put them in your ears.

We'd suggest adjusting the volume while the AirPods are in your ears to your liking. They should then retain that volume level as you take them out and put them back in again.

For help with adjusting the volume of your AirPods, please review: Pause, skip, and adjust volume with your AirPods and AirPods Pro - Apple Support

We hope this information helps out.

Take care!

Dec 5, 2022 7:59 AM in response to rich-nh

I just bought the AirPods 2 (not pro) and I have the same problem. I have an iPhone 13 Pro running iOS 16 and listen to Spotify daily while I work and a call came in and nearly blew out my ear drums. My over the ear Bose headphones never have this problem.

I confirmed my iPhone volume was way down while listening to music via my AirPods, but looked and found out my ring volume was way up.

Here's how I fixed it:

1. Go to Settings > Sounds & Haptics
  2. Turn the RINGTONE AND ALERT VOLUME slider way down to almost near the bottom
  3. Switch the toggle for Change with Buttons to off
  4. Call yourself from another phone to test it

Feb 21, 2023 4:08 AM in response to rich-nh

This has been a problem for years, not just after the latest updates. There also aren't any "tone volume" settings with the original AirPods.

I managed to at least temporarily solve it by following two tips in this thread:

1. Changing to the crickets ring tone.
  2. Adjusting the ring tone volume to minimum while a call was coming in.

There doesn't seem to be a separate ring volume setting for the built-in speakers and AirPods, it's the same slider. And even if you have a very moderate level set because of phone speakers, the volume is much louder with AirPods. I used to use the old telephone ring tone which was very loud when interrupting a podcast.

I could hear the ring tone volume change in real-time while adjusting the level when a call was coming in and just set it to minimum because that is the only really comfortable level for me. I usually keep my iPhone ringer muted anyway so it's not a big deal for me, but I can imagine if you need to keep a high level for the iPhone built-in speakers this isn't a complete solution.

Hopefully the volume level doesn't reset to a high level again later.

Airpod volume extremely loud when answering a call with IOS 16

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.