Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Turn off Report Junk in iMessage on iPhone

I'm sorry if this question has been asked before.  I can't locate it, if it has.

After updating to IOS16, I get a Report Junk message when trying to delete a message that is not in my contact list.  The messages that I am receiving that Apple considers spam are notifications from my bank, my credit cards, my doctor, my orders.  I'd prefer not to take the extra step to deny reporting the assumed junk to Apple or ATT.  I can't add these message id's to my contacts because they are not the same all the time.  I don't want them filtered to a spam folder and not be notified because it is important that I see them immediately.  Anything I can do or I'm just stuck with taking an unnecessary extra step.  Thanks for any responses.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Sep 15, 2022 6:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 16, 2022 4:52 AM

I totally agree. It's in a terrible location and I've accidentally selected it multiple times now. It should be in a right-clock and hold menu rather than popping up each time I want to delete an iMessage/SMS. This issue, if not resolved, will make me switch back to an Android in the future. It's that much of a pain.

Similar questions

135 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 16, 2022 4:52 AM in response to cburg59

I totally agree. It's in a terrible location and I've accidentally selected it multiple times now. It should be in a right-clock and hold menu rather than popping up each time I want to delete an iMessage/SMS. This issue, if not resolved, will make me switch back to an Android in the future. It's that much of a pain.

Sep 15, 2022 7:25 PM in response to hmwillard

I'm not sure how to unmark as junk once it has been marked as such other than to wait until it comes again (because I'm sure they don't stop right away) and add it to your contacts.

So in answer to my own question: As I was messing around, I realized that those notification texts that come in as, for example, 222-22 can be saved to contacts. I thought that they come in with random numbers, but I see that the ones I am getting are specific to that particular organization, like 222-22 will always come from CVS Pharmacy. All I need do is open the text, go to the top and tap the right arrow near the number, tap info on the next screen, then choose Add Contact (or New Contact), name it CVS and save. I happen to already have CVS in my Contacts, so I only had to add/merge their text number to that contact. I now bypass the extra step that asks me to Report Junk. However, I am now creating more Contacts that are probably unnecessary, but until I can find another way to fix it ... this works for me. I hope I was clear. It's late. I'm tired. Good luck.

Sep 23, 2022 9:46 AM in response to doc-mxc

doc-mxc wrote:

After updating to IOS 16, i am required to choose 1) to report or 2) not to report junk on any text I wish to delete that does not have a sender in my contact list. i want to turn this filtering off. I get many legitimate texts from entities that are not in my contact list. I find this additional filtering step to be excessive and overly aggressive and a time waster.

You should let Apple know how you feel:

Product Feedback - Apple

Sep 23, 2022 5:37 PM in response to Rebel2386

Rebel2386 wrote:

I just hit “report as junk” to a text from my medical provider that I wanted to delete. I hate this feature. Apple seems bent on adding options we don’t want, don’t need and didn’t ask for in the first place.

Turn. This. Feature. Off!

Well, actually, I’ve seen a huge number of posts asking for this feature, usually along the links “why doesn’t Apple have a way to report junk posts? Apple ARE YOU LISTENING?". That’s probably why it was added. And I’m sure a lot asked for it using the feedback link→Product Feedback - Apple

Sep 30, 2022 8:50 AM in response to Pjshap

Pjshap wrote:

I wish after a few times of saying "Don't report" it would ask if we want this sender on the safe sender list or something. Many multifactor authentications needed every day and I delete to declutter. I wish those where allowable without this step but I could report if and when I get junk.

That’s a good suggestion. Tell Apple→Product Feedback - Apple

Oct 1, 2022 2:18 PM in response to jobsturningoverinhisgrave

Did you read the thread you just posted to? Likely not. Had you read it, you'd realize you are only writing other users on a user to user only forum. You haven't addressed anyone from Apple and no one other than other users who may agree with you (or not) will see what you've written.

Since you didn't read the thread through, let me help you, by providing the only path your thoughts will be heard by Apple. Use this link --> Feedback - iPhone - Apple

Oct 4, 2022 4:39 PM in response to csapple21

csapple21 wrote:

Apple needs to turn off this junk or report junk feature. It is soooo annoying and I accidentally reported some texts from contractors working at my home that were not junk and now they can’t text. I realize I should not have done that but can Apple remove totally this feature. Does nothing in the long run but causes problems

And another poster who responded to the original post without reading the thread. Had you bothered to read the thread, you'd know you are only speaking with other users on a user to user only forum, none of whom work for Apple, nor have any ability to effect the change you want. There is a feedback link posted multiple times throughout this thread you can use if you want someone at Apple to actually read your thoughts. But then since you didn't take your time to read the thread, you likely don't know this, so I'll take my time and provide it for you here --> Product Feedback - Apple

Oct 4, 2022 6:03 PM in response to Joey Luder

Nope. Apple Support Communities is not a discussion forum. It is a technical support forum hosted by Apple for users to ask technical support questions, which users can solve. This is not a complaint forum, nor a discussion forum. The question was asked, how do you turn this feature off. It has been answered, that currently turning it off isn't an available option. Continuing to bemoan this is a pointless effort given no on here can effect any change and Apple doesn't participate here so telling other users what Apple should do is a waste of time and effort.

If you actually worked for Apple you should already know what this forum is. Perhaps you might want to read the Terms of Use --> Apple Support Communities Use Agreement - Apple Community

Oct 16, 2022 8:46 AM in response to Steven4122

Steven4122 wrote:

Yeah this is one of the dumbest ideas someone could have had at apple. The dumb **** who implemented this shouldn’t get a say in future developments

No, this is a fantastic new feature that has been requested by many thousands of users over many years, both in this user-to-user forum and directly to Apple→Product Feedback - Apple. Apple finally heard the demand and implemented it. The implementation is not as well done as it could be, but I’m sure that will improve with future releases.

Dec 12, 2022 1:25 PM in response to Jasong222

We don't pass along user comments to Apple engineering. There are feedback links you, a user who may want to communicate with Apple directly can use. You seem to not get what this forum is about.

Again, moot point as you suggest as Apple fixed this some time ago.

Keep this handy if you ever want to let Apple know you have a need for a feature change --> Product Feedback - Apple

Turn off Report Junk in iMessage on iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.