Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Migrating iTunes Library from Time Machine Backup with Library Stored on External Hard Drive

Finally upgraded computers and got rid of a 2012 MacBook Pro. The music transfer from my old Mac didn't transfer playlists, i.e. didn't get the iTunes Library.itl file. I still have the Time Machine backups from the old computer and trying the process again (from this thread: How To Convert Itunes Lib. To Music App L… - Apple Community) doesn't produce any results, but also no errors. The iTunes Library.itl in the Time Machine backup file points to my library on an external drive which I have plugged in while trying to transfer. The Music app picks up the correct location for the library on my external drive (as seen in Preferences->Files->Music Media folder location) but when I click on Songs or Albums in Music app it just says loading with a spinning wheel indefinitely. The external drive with the music stored also doesn't show any activity during all of this, which makes sense given the other symptoms.

Any ideas on where the process is failing?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.6

Posted on Sep 20, 2022 11:29 AM

Similar questions

5 replies

Sep 20, 2022 2:52 PM in response to harlequin137

See Repair security permissions for iTunes/Music for Mac - Apple Community should it be needed. You may need to fix permissions on the external drive even if you place the database itself on your system drive. You should be able to create a new empty library by holding down option as you launch Music. The usual location would be ~/Music/Music.

Or if you want you could email your .itl file and I could try to convert it to the .musiclibrary format in Catalina and send it back to you. I've put my email address in my profile temporarily should you want it. The advantage of this approach, if it works, is that it preserves Date Added, which is lost with the XML import route.

tt2

Sep 20, 2022 1:49 PM in response to turingtest2

That kind of worked using the Library->Import Playlist method. All the music came up in the app with playlists and ratings and everything. But there is an error that pops up every few minutes that says "The Music Library file cannot be saved. An unknown error occurred (-50)." If I quit the Music app and restart I lose all music. I tried to change the Library directory to a local location, but the same error popped up.

Any other thoughts? I don't have a machine running Big Sur or Catalina unfortunately.

Sep 20, 2022 11:50 AM in response to harlequin137

Hi,

I've seen several posts lately where Monterey fails to correctly convert an iTunes Library.itl database correctly. There seem to be two possible workarounds, copy the .itl file to Big Sur or Catalina and convert it there (the media folder is apparently not required) or if you have an iTunes Library.xml file you can import that into an empty Music library with File > Library > Import Playlist... as long as the media files are at the paths listed in the XML file.

tt2

Sep 20, 2022 3:29 PM in response to harlequin137

Figured out the work around. Once you import the library you change the directory to a local location (I just used the default location) then to go to File->Library->Organize Library->Consolidate Files and Music will migrate your library to the new location. Then you have to go to File->Library->Export Library and I put that in the Music folder level with the Library folder, but I'm guessing it can be anywhere. I relaunched the Music app then went to File->Import Playlist and selected the Library.xml I just exported. After that the Music app maintains data, plays, ratings, playlists, etc. and doesn't need the external drives.

Thanks for getting me on the right track.

Migrating iTunes Library from Time Machine Backup with Library Stored on External Hard Drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.