Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IOS 16 Charging Issues

Since the ios 16 update my iphone 13 has charging issues. It’s connected to the charger (original usb c and wall adapter) but the battery % keeps decreasing, it randomly charges up to 100% and the next day same issue. It’s been 6 days since I updated! Anyone else facing the same issue?

iPhone 13, iOS 16

Posted on Sep 21, 2022 7:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 24, 2023 12:21 AM

To all my brothers in arms, i think i found a solution!

Go to: Settings -> battery setting -> battery health & charging

and disable the options:

• Optimized battery charging
  • Clean energy charging (if you don't have this option, try changing the iPhone's region to USA)

for me, the problem was solved after changing these options!!

23 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 24, 2023 12:21 AM in response to Muhuyu

To all my brothers in arms, i think i found a solution!

Go to: Settings -> battery setting -> battery health & charging

and disable the options:

• Optimized battery charging
  • Clean energy charging (if you don't have this option, try changing the iPhone's region to USA)

for me, the problem was solved after changing these options!!

Sep 23, 2022 9:07 AM in response to Muhuyu

Also realized I can't charge the iPhone 13 with a USB A cable after the ios16 update. I wanted to downgrade to the previous iOS version, so I connected the phone to my laptop via USB A no response tried the USB A on a wall charger no response still, but it's showing charging when USB C is connected to a wall charger, but battery capacity does not increase!!!

Sep 28, 2022 7:44 AM in response to Muhuyu

I am having this same issue. I cannot charge using usb-a cables. It only charged successfully using usb-c. This means I am not able to do CarPlay in my car. Either the car can’t see the phone or the phone can’t see the car. I have tried multiple cables, third party and Apple, and charging is hit or miss. I have not tried a restore from backup yet. That is my next step.

Oct 19, 2022 7:21 AM in response to mohalkha

Same here, have an IPhone 13 mini started having problems when updated to IOS16 my battery was lower than 6% the iPhone would connect and disconnected when lighting cable was connected that only happens when it’s lower than 6% Ps charging port is clean and the cable it’s brand new. Start charging with MagSafe and the battery percentage shows that’s it’s charging but the battery keeps decreasing, so I had to connect and disconnect MagSafe so charges properly. Apple please fix this it’s so annoying.

Nov 20, 2022 12:28 PM in response to Stanislav Kharchenko

Stanislav Kharchenko wrote:

The same issue when connect iPhone XS Max to MacBook Pro 2018 with usb-c cable. The iPhone displays that charging is in progress, however, It decreasing. Apple, please fix this asap!

You are not speaking with Apple. This is a user to user only forum, which Apple does NOT actively participate in. Since you are having an issue with charging, schedule an appointment at your Apple Store Genius Bar, for evaluation and options.

Jan 9, 2023 11:22 PM in response to velvet208

I have an iPhone 12 which I charge on an Apple Wireless charger and I’ve had an issue twice since upgrading to IOS16.3. The phone was on charge all night and it has the MagSafe so I know it’s attached properly but in the morning it has not charged and I only had 3% battery left. I tried reattaching to the MagSafe several times but it would not show the charging symbol, so I plugged in via the hard wire charging cable and got the same, it refused to charge. I then did a hard reset and as soon as it rebooted it charged fine on both wire and wireless. This has happened again since and is really frustrating.

More annoyingly, my wife recently upgraded her iPhone XR to IOS16.3, and she is getting the problem occur frequently! 2-3 times a week! She uses a hard wire to charge her phone, when the issue occurs and I try to use the wireless pad, the phone just continuously Reboots itself. After a few attempts at getting some charge via The cable and a hard reboot it appears to sort itself for a while again.

There is clearly an issue somewhere with IOS13?

Apr 1, 2023 2:32 AM in response to Muhuyu

I have the same issue on my SE2 and with 16.4 it has got even worse. The phone will not charge beyond90%

and will then crash at 30%. I went to the Apple Store the other day and they haven't got a clue either .

the battery still has 90% capacity so they won't change it.

apple has made a complete mess in the latest update SORT IT OUT please .

IOS 16 Charging Issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.