Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 16 Screen Flickering

I’ve bought an iPhone 13 on the day of official release of IOS 16. After activation I immediately installed it. A couple of days later I started to notice some flickering on the display. This small(but kinda annoying) blinkering screen especially noticeable at brightness lower 40% and in black pixels(night mode). I’ve heard that this problem is most common for users of AMOLED display iPhones(12, 13, 13 mini). We need to force this issue in order to Apple noticed it and fixed in the next update(in IOS 16.0.2 there is still flickering). Does anyone have such problem?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 13, iOS 16

Posted on Sep 23, 2022 9:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 25, 2022 8:49 AM

I updated my iPhone 12 mini to iOS 16.1 recently and I still have this problem. When brightness is set below ~40% black parts of screen turns grey when anything is moving on the screen. It is annoying while watching YouTube.

To be more precisely: the screen changes hue when the brightness slider is lower than about 45 percent. in the place of 45% you can see a sudden change in the colors of the screen. And under this level, screen flickering on black parts of display is happening.

112 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 25, 2022 8:49 AM in response to nurali114

I updated my iPhone 12 mini to iOS 16.1 recently and I still have this problem. When brightness is set below ~40% black parts of screen turns grey when anything is moving on the screen. It is annoying while watching YouTube.

To be more precisely: the screen changes hue when the brightness slider is lower than about 45 percent. in the place of 45% you can see a sudden change in the colors of the screen. And under this level, screen flickering on black parts of display is happening.

Oct 11, 2022 1:10 PM in response to priyabratac

priyabratac wrote:

If there is a problem that happens on iOS 16.0.x and gets resolved on downgrading to 15.7 (troubleshooting as possible by the end user), it definitely warrants a fix from Apple, there are no two ways about this!!

And what are you doing to let Apple know about your concern? Posting to other users in this forum won’t accomplish anything. Use the Get Support link, make a genius bar appointment, or use this link→https://apple.com/feedback

Sep 28, 2022 12:15 AM in response to nurali114

Same here on Iphone 11 Pro u can see the flickering in about half or less than half brightness and it can be clearly seen when trying to set an alarm on the clock app if ur not sure if the screen is flickering or not go to the clock app and try to set an alarm when changing the time u can see the flickering(try it on a dark place with low brightness)plz help with this issue.(ios 16.0.2 didn't fix this)

Oct 2, 2022 12:24 PM in response to nurali114

I’m also facing the same issue after updating to the latest version of ios 16. It usually happens while typing something. I see that the whole display is flickering for some reason. I saw many people noticing it primarily on grey background. To my surprise, it’s happening on light background also. Apple please fix this issue.

Oct 6, 2022 6:16 AM in response to nurali114

I have the exact same issue and it seems to be well documented on the reddit iOS thread. It’s driving me insane. Apple replaced my screen, asked me to do a factory reset and then replaced the ‘rear system’ which is basically everything except the screen. So basically they’ve replaced the whole phone to no avail. This is clearly an iOS 16 software issue and needs to be resolved. I’m at the point where I’m considering ditching the phone altogether and going back to android…

Oct 7, 2022 1:42 PM in response to nurali114

I bought my iPhone 13 3 months ago and i updated to iOS 16 on the release day. I am facing the same issue as well. Screen flickering especially in darker areas at 40% brightness. The brightness flickers as the screen refreshes, what I mean to say is, when any data gets changed on the screen, it flickers. Very noticible while typing, changing the time while setting an alerm, uploading a file to google drive etc.

I contacted the apple customer support. They couldnt help as the issue was not visible to camera or screen recording. So they suggested me to visit a Apple service centre. I will be going there tomorrow.

BTW I have tried resetting to factory once but the problem is still there. I have also updated to iOS 16.0.2 and that did not solve the issue.

Pretty weird issue TBH. I lot of people I know, have iPhones, but none of them are facing this issue or maybe they havent noticed very closely.

I will keep this thread updated.

Oct 7, 2022 6:59 PM in response to imfr0st

I wouldn’t bother going into a store. The staff have no idea it’s and issue and Apple hasn’t officially acknowledged the issue. They may out of goodwill replace your screen or rear system but this is absolutely pointless as it will not resolve anything. I did it weeks ago right after the release of iOS16 and it was just a waste of my time…

iOS 16 Screen Flickering

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.