Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 14 pro max zooming glitch

I recently purchased my iPhone 14 pro max and when I tested out the new camera I noticed when zooming from 0.5 to 1x you see the camera lenses switch, which makes a jump on the video. It is very glitchy and not how this phone should be working, I contacted apple support and they said something is wrong with the phone, but I needed to go to the Apple Store to get it checked out, so I went to the store and the employee said there is something wrong, he even tested his camera (iPhone 14 pro max also) and it was smooth as butter. He replaced my phone and I finally get home to set it up and I am experiencing the same issue! I hard reset the phone, factory reset it, and made sure I am updated to the latest iOS 16.2. any other new iPhone users experiencing this?

iPhone 14 Pro Max

Posted on Sep 23, 2022 7:27 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 31, 2022 6:24 AM

I think I found the issue, there is a lock camera button in the camera settings that disables the switching between cameras when recording video. I enabled it and tried to zoom in and it did not glitch. Hopefully this is the solution.

Similar questions

109 replies

Oct 27, 2022 12:52 AM in response to afernandez24

I have contacted Apple support and even send video samples and demonstrated the issue remotely to them. Customer service officer Brian assisted me and sent this “issue” to their engineering team.

He got back to me a week later with their engineers reply.

“it is suppose to work like this and there is nothing wrong, so no patches or update will be made on this issue”

and the case is closed.

i can’t say much, but only feel disappointed on this.

Nov 9, 2022 9:18 AM in response to Bklynboy2001

Do any of the users experiencing this jump/glitch, which I am experiencing too, happen to have a cover over the back of the camera lenses? The case I bought has a cover for the back camera lenses, I'm wondering if that is somehow throwing something off when the lenses focus? I haven't tried taking it off yet, wanted to ask first. I tried taking a picture of a fly I tied this morning and it came out all grainy and unfocused no matter how I positioned it or zoomed.

Sep 27, 2022 5:22 AM in response to Lovecross

Hi, For me the same issue. Especially when recording a video, when zooming gradually from 1 or 2x toom to 3x zoom. The camera switches from lens i suppose, but than my view shifts (what i see on mij screen) So it looks like the whole view moves upwards. And it is annoying because therfore my focus-object of my video changes. It is also noticeable when playing the video.

The strange thing is that when zooming in while taking a 'foto', this 'shifting' doesn't occur.

Nov 17, 2022 8:01 PM in response to mega-watts

Because if it's due to a lens shift, it's a parallax effect, and that can't be fixed.

A great example is close one eye and look at something, then close that eye and open the other. See how the image shifts? That's parallax.

Note that if you had an iPhone 11, part of the difference may be because of the increased magnification of the telephoto lens on newer iPhones (2.5x on the 12 Pro/Max, 3x on the 13 and 14 Pro/Max.)

Finally, if the lighting is poor, you won't see a shift, but rather increasingly bad image quality as the phone uses digital zoom rather than switch to the telephoto lens when lighting conditions aren't bright enough for good results from the optical telephoto lens.

Nov 29, 2022 6:50 PM in response to Meow888

As described at the link above, automatic switching is enabled each time you open Camera unless you:

1) Enable Macro Control

2) When in Macro Range, tap the Macro symbol to shut lens switching off:

3) Go to Settings > Camera > Preserve Settings and turn on Macro Control

When macro switching is turned off as noted above, you can tell as the phone will no longer switch lenses to focus on something nearer than the minimum focus distance for the wide camera.

iPhone 14 pro max zooming glitch

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.